Franken Strats anyone? - Let's see em!

Scott Abene

• Members

I have posted this on other forums and the HC2.0 Site...

I love seeing other folks' frankenstrats

Alrighty,

Let's see those FRANKEN STRATS that you have put together from parts

I offer up:

SHARTEK!

1. DiMarzio Body that I bought off Bill Connors during a lesson in 1984 (he had it hanging on the wall with Christmas lights wrapped around it). I think I paid $25 (Christmas lights not included)

2. A Taxi Cab Yellow custom order ESP neck that I got at 48th Street Custom Guitars for $20

3. A beat to crap Floyd that came off of one of Kirk Hammets touring ESPs (also from 48th Street Custom)

4. Three ESP PAFs (From a box of crap behind the counter at 48th street custom guitars)

5. Some Tuning pegs that I bought on the 57th RR subway station platform from a homeless guy

6. A pickguard that I created with a hot GINSU knife

7. Three Radio Shack Micro Pots

8. There is shipping tape covering the back electronics cavity that has been there since about 6 months after the guitar was finished

9. Neon Metalic Blue Neck Plate from FEBB MUSIC on Staten Island

10. Sunken Floyd Rose route was done with a hand held drill and a routing bit at 2am one weekday night

11. Sunken Floyd Rose route is colored in with a black wide tip Sharpie

12. White back tremelo cavity cover from a HONDO II Strat (I think)

This guitar has remained a work horse and almost totally unchanged since the 1987(???) time frame. I have played hundreds of gigs and recorded a lot of studio dates with it.

I love it to death...

Shartek_1024_00.jpg

Shartek_Back_00.jpg

Shartek_Back_01.jpg

My wife reminded me that I should include the SHARTEK! story in this so I will

From the fall of 1983 through the spring of 1987 I lived on Staten Island.

I often had to take the Ferry into NYC for gigs, rehearsals, recordings etc. There were always a lot of Faux GANGSTAS wandering around the ferry terminal in Staten Island trying to stir up crap. So of course one night they decided that I was skinny blonde guy with a guitar and that they were going to give me crap, beat me up and take my guitar.

I had my checkerboard strat with me and there was no way that anyone was ever going to get that guitar off me but they surrounded me and this one guy decided that he was going after me...

He was all dressed in this stupid white jumpsuit with an oversized Baseball cap and this stupid pair of shutter shades. On the Hat and the pants in huge purple letters the word "SHARTEK!" was airbrushed on in Script letters. It was seriously gay even for 1985 or whatever...

So he starts roughing me up and something in me snapped... I said something like "You want the guitar??? I will give you the damn guitar" and then I started to swing the gig bag at him while holding onto the neck. I must of hit him about 4 times with that heavy Swamp Ash 1970's Fender guitar before he fell down to the ground in a fetal position...

He was yelling "damn yo... Stop... I was only playing... only playing... "

I must have looked insane about that point and just remember screaming obscenities at him and his friends.

So his one friend kicks him in the ass while he is on the ground and takes off his hat... Tosses the hat at me looks down at the dude on the ground then pointed at me and said "Yo... He's SHARTEK! now..."

So I ordered the neck a couple weeks later...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just put this together with parts I've been

collecting for a while now.

Koa body w/ figured koa top

maple neck w/ maple board and koa headstock overlay

sperzel tuners

EMG SL20 Lukather set

Wilkinson VG300 trem

14" radius

stainless steel jumbo frets

3fca52bafc04.jpg

e8d2bc43684a.jpg

dbf74ede8134.jpg

c185046c0db0.jpg

2523561452ca.jpg

• Members

I just put this together with parts I've been

collecting for a while now.

Koa body w/ figured koa top

maple neck w/ maple board and koa headstock overlay

sperzel tuners

EMG SL20 Lukather set

Wilkinson VG300 trem

14" radius

stainless steel jumbo frets

3fca52bafc04.jpg

e8d2bc43684a.jpg

dbf74ede8134.jpg

c185046c0db0.jpg

2523561452ca.jpg

Blurrier please :lol:

• Members

Charvel SSS 2 piece body from KNE. Tung and Tru oil finish.

Dimarzio Area 58 neck, Area 67 middle,

Dimarzio Virtual Solo in the bridge.

All wired to 500k volume and 250k tone.

bip-pbody-1.jpg

Warmoth Wolfgang profile,

10 to 16 compound radius,

stainless steal frets,

Fender locking tuners.

big-p-neck.jpg

• Members

Do normal Strats count? If so, I've got this one that I put together that will very likely be my main Strat for the rest of my life.

CIJ 57' RI Neck

HWY-1 Satin Nitro Body

Lindy Fralin Vintage Hot pups w/ bridge baseplate, and mixer. Second tone knob adds bridge/neck pup when on bridge/neck.

BStrat1.jpg

BStrat2.jpg

BStrat4.jpg

I didn't go for the Gilmour Strat exactly (pups wise), but I do have the shortened trem arm on her, now. It's awesome.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Got an ash body off eBay with bad grain match. Painted it and mated a Squier II neck, and various parts.

IMG_3395.jpg

I am a firm believer that many times the best playing and sounding guitars come from either castaway parts or parts that were never meant to be together

Archived