Tone pot in Gibson Explorer

enuenu

• Members

I bought some new pups (MHD), 2 x push pull volume pots, a CTS 550k tone pot and an Aerovox cap for my Explorer. I had a tech Plek the guitar and install all the new electronics. Someone has picked the guitar up for me and I haven't played it yet but reports are good.

However the tech didn't replace the original tone pot with the CTS 550k. I called him and asked why. He told me he didn't replace the tone pot as it would make no difference putting the CTS 550k pot in. I was trying to add some cut to the guitar and clean some mud when played through my Mesa DR.

I think the original tone pot is a 500k. Maybe the 550k CTS is better quality too. Should I take it back and make him put the CTS 550k pot in as I originally requested? Would it make a difference?

• Members

CTS makes a 550K pot? That's news to me.

Gibson pots are made by CTS. The difference between 500K and 550K is within the 10% tolerance range. Hell, I'm willing to bet your stock pot reads 520K or so on a meter. At that point the difference will be slightly less than the slight difference between the actual specs.

Archived