Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Tone pot in Gibson Explorer

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tone pot in Gibson Explorer

I bought some new pups (MHD), 2 x push pull volume pots, a CTS 550k tone pot and an Aerovox cap for my Explorer. I had a tech Plek the guitar and install all the new electronics. Someone has picked the guitar up for me and I haven't played it yet but reports are good.

However the tech didn't replace the original tone pot with the CTS 550k. I called him and asked why. He told me he didn't replace the tone pot as it would make no difference putting the CTS 550k pot in. I was trying to add some cut to the guitar and clean some mud when played through my Mesa DR.

I think the original tone pot is a 500k. Maybe the 550k CTS is better quality too. Should I take it back and make him put the CTS 550k pot in as I originally requested? Would it make a difference?
    <div class="signaturecontainer">See you in The Green Room.<br>Explorer with MHD Walter pups<br>R7<br>'60 CS Strat<br>Mesa 3ch DR + 4x12 Recto<br>Fender Hot Rod DeViIle III 2 x 12</div>

He's gonna change it even though he says the pot from Martin Six String Customs is the same as the original.
    <div class="signaturecontainer">See you in The Green Room.<br>Explorer with MHD Walter pups<br>R7<br>'60 CS Strat<br>Mesa 3ch DR + 4x12 Recto<br>Fender Hot Rod DeViIle III 2 x 12</div>

Comment

CTS makes a 550K pot? That's news to me.

Gibson pots are made by CTS. The difference between 500K and 550K is within the 10% tolerance range. Hell, I'm willing to bet your stock pot reads 520K or so on a meter. At that point the difference will be slightly less than the slight difference between the actual specs.
      Mazi Bee Militia!
      JJ Pistols Kickfụck Brigade
      PpP
      My gear list is in serious need of an update...

Comment

he should have just told you he replaced the pot and you'd never know.
        <div class="signaturecontainer"><font color="darkgreen">________________________________ _________________</font><br />
        <br />
        <font size="1"><font color="darkgreen">stuff:</font></font><br />
        <font size="1"><font color="#ff8c00">52RI Tele</font></font><br />
        <font size="1"><font color="darkorange">Gibson SG 1970s Tribute</font></font><br />
        <font size="1"><font color="green">more stuff:</font></font><br />
        <font size="1"><font color="#ff8c00">65 Twin Reverb Reissue</font></font><br />
        <font size="1"><font color="#ff8c00">Cox Tweed Deluxe Ultimate</font></font><br />
        <br />
        <br />
        <font face="Century Gothic"><font color="teal"><i>The REAL Angry</i></font></font></div>

Comment

Working...
        X