Franken-dano: short-scale Danelectro body + regular-scale neck = problem?

rch427

• Members

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that I have a Danelectro guitar body that originally had a short-scale (19-fret) neck. Let's say that the neck needed to be replaced but the only neck available was a long-scale (21-fret) one. Both necks have the same heel dimensions.

Given that I can reposition the bridge as much as 3/4" to tweak the total scale length, is there any reason why I shouldn't be able to use the long-scale neck and be able to have reasonable intonation? I'm not exactly an idiot, but I play one on TV. Advice, please.

• Members

The scale of the neck and number of frets are not related. Measure from the nut to the 12th fret and double it to get the scale length. If the bridge can be placed that far from the nut then you are ok, if not, not.

Also check if the heel will fit the neck pocket.

• Members

Ah! Thanks for that information. I didn't realize there was such a straightforward rule for determining scale length. I've written the seller; hopefully they'll get back to me.

Cheers!

The scale of the neck and number of frets are not related. Measure from the nut to the 12th fret and double it to get the scale length. If the bridge can be placed that far from the nut then you are ok, if not, not.

Also check if the heel will fit the neck pocket.

Archived