Jkater's dream guitar. They don't come up very often.

billybilly

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

yep. Warmoth neck, high end specs everywhere else.

I want one, lets see how the auction goes.

That being the case then its a partscaster. I got warmoth necks and bodies so Im guessing

what I build is on par with this so I retract my earlier elsewhere comment that I really want

to try one.

• Members

Yamaha hits a pretty fine mark on just about all their products, you name it. I'd have to think that these higher end Pacificas are a pretty smooth piece of kit.

My only grip with Warmoth is that they don't level the frets on the necks that they ship out to you, I'm sure Yamaha took care of that though.

• Members

My only grip with Warmoth is that they don't level the frets on the necks that they ship out to you, I'm sure Yamaha took care of that though.

I hear ya, but of the 5 (maybe 6) Warmoth necks I've installed and/or setup, NONE of them have 'needed' a fret level and most of them didn't 'need' much work don't to the fret ends. The fret installer(s) are pretty good at their jobs... they are well beyond the guys that build Squier Affinity and Bullet necks.

:lol:

• Members

I could have gotten unlucky with the warmoth neck that I got. SS frets, I suppose, are harder for them to install to a tight tolerance?? I don't know, the neck I got from them was playable, but it was not neat, a few high frets, an absurdly high nut that was glued in knowing full well that it would have to be popped back out, and of course they don't touch the fret ends. This was years ago btw. Just didn't feel like I got my moneys worth on a custom neck, and I wont buy from them again, no biggie.

• Members

I wouldn't mind a blue one! :) Thanks billy for the heads up. I need a new recording set-up so I won't buy a new guitar for a while...

Interesting comments here as some dismiss this one for just any Pacifica. The compound radius Warmoth neck and Sperzel tuners are the only things that isn't from Yamaha on this guitar. The finishing of the neck and the fretwork was done in Japan to perfection. They sold new for $1,200 (truly a bargain at that price) and AlexMC got his blue 904 used for 500 british pounds so around $780, I guess. If you think that's too much money for this guitar, then you're just like everyone else who can't imagine what this guitar is like... Cratz is one of the very few from this board who ever saw one.

Those who say that they could built it from Warmoth parts must be extraordinary craftmen to think they can match the best of Yamaha's craftpeople in Japan where this guitar was put together and fine tuned to custom shop level.

Too bad for the whammy bar because it's a nice piece and the original costs 39 euros to replace! The pics are really bad and what happened to the bridge? It looks badly corroded. That and the un-enthousiastic description of the seller means it could be had on this auction at an incredible bargain. I'll follow this auction out of curiosity. I can't imagine it going for less than $500 but you never know.

Here's what a 904's bridge is supposed to look like:

Bridge1.jpg

bridge2.jpg

• Members

That being the case then its a partscaster. I got warmoth necks and bodies so Im guessing

what I build is on par with this so I retract my earlier elsewhere comment that I really want

to try one.

so that makes Anderson and some other custom bilders partscasters. Many use outsourced custom spec necks.

• Members

I think $750 would be about right if it were in good condition, but it looks pretty sad and with a missing bar, I certainly wouldn't give that much for it. I'd ask for better pictures before bidding anything.

I agree. It doesn't look like it was well cared for and the bad pics don't give a good idea of the shape (those bridge pics, huh?!). The one good picture looks like it's from another guitar...

• Members

I agree. It doesn't look like it was well cared for and the bad pics don't give a good idea of the shape (those bridge pics, huh?!). The one good picture looks like it's from another guitar...

Why do people not take 5 minutes and get a few tips on photos when they are selling something? The only thing that flash does is highlight the rust on every one of those allen screws in the bridge saddles. They must have kept that in a basement judging by the apparent pitting on those metal parts.

• Members

Those who say that they could built it from Warmoth parts must be extraordinary craftmen to think they can match the best of Yamaha's craftpeople in Japan where this guitar was put together and fine tuned to custom shop level.

I'm half Japanese and I used to work at a custom guitar shop.

I stand by what I said . ;)

• Members

so that makes Anderson and some other custom bilders partscasters. Many use outsourced custom spec necks.

I love partscasters, more than you know . Its not a demeaning word at all to me far from it.

Nothing better than to pick through parts and put together something

that ends up being more than the sum of parts .

Putting together a strat or tele with good parts and tolerances yield good guitars but its not voodoo.

Its not like making a violin or acoustic. Im sorry but people play up boutique strats like they

are amazing art and they arent. Its the poor quality of parts and fit and bad tolerances that make

up a bad one.

• Members

to try one.

The web is full of people who pass judgement on guitars they`ve never tried...you`re not alone.

Archived