Let's Talk Trems

docjeffrey

• Members

Which do you like? How do you use them? How do you get your guitar to maintain its tuning stability? And other info you'd like to add would be terrific.

I created three videos to start the conversation. These were done quickly--nothing fancy--using my iPad with iMovie.

[video=youtube;1DAQiwSxeKA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DAQiwSxeKA&feature=youtu.be

[video=youtube;e6ZVmP6XfOM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6ZVmP6XfOM&feature=youtu.be

[video=youtube;R0VCu6jmYJ8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0VCu6jmYJ8&feature=youtu.be

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Gotoh Floyd; however the music dictates; chapstick.

As far as I can tell, the Floyd on the LP Lifeson is a Gotoh. It has the Graph Tech Ghost system built in, but the shape of the bits forward of the saddles and other minute details (that nobody else would notice but me) indicate that Graph Tech uses a Gotoh Floyd for their Ghost acoustic and synth axcess systems.

• Members

next time yer in GC et al, pick up an Ibanez S type guit equipped with the ZR bridge...smoothest feeling trem, uses ball bearings instead of knife points ...If it were doable as an aftermarket thing, I'd equip nearly everything I have with one but the cutout for it is just too elaborate, though somebody skilled at woodworking could probably pull it off...

zrcu.jpg

zrbearing.jpg

• Members
As far as I can tell, the Floyd on the LP Lifeson is a Gotoh. It has the Graph Tech Ghost system built in, but the shape of the bits forward of the saddles and other minute details (that nobody else would notice but me) indicate that Graph Tech uses a Gotoh Floyd for their Ghost acoustic and synth axcess systems.

From the pics I was just looking at on the web, the Graphtech bridge looks similar to the Gotoh Floyd I've got on my partscaster - I think the trem arm socket makes it a dead giveaway. The baseplate is noticeably different though, so who knows for sure. Google didn't reveal any info on who manufactures them to me.

• Members

I've got fender and floyd. I love the floyd. So easy to use and set up. Once you've got it where you like it you don't have to do a thing.

My fender trem is essentially not used. I just don't seem in the mood to use trem effects on the stuff I seem to play on my strat. Maybe that will change at some point. But right now it's firm up against the body.

• Members

BIg fan of the Hipshot US Contour. Great tone, super smooth, and with a properly cut Graphtech nut I don't really have ay tuning stability issues. ANd it's a great looking bridge.

As for how I use it. I just grab the stick and wiggle it about.

Warmoth_triphod1.jpg

• Members

BIg fan of the Hipshot US Contour. Great tone, super smooth, and with a properly cut Graphtech nut I don't really have ay tuning stability issues. ANd it's a great looking bridge.

As for how I use it. I just grab the stick and wiggle it about.

Warmoth_triphod1.jpg

I put Hipshot bridges on two of my Teles. Unbelievably tight tolerances an high quality materials, fit, finish etc.

• Members

I really dislike floyd rose bridges. I used to play them a lot, and I have now decided I can't stand them. I like strat trems, and Jag trems.

I love my Graphtech Floyd. Fun to use, smooth action. You need the right pickups because they will change your tone a nd sustain.

• Members

I love my Graphtech Floyd. Fun to use, smooth action. You need the right pickups because they will change your tone a nd sustain.

It was more to do with the overall system than anything else, I just don't like them. I tend to put custom pickups in my guitars (mainly bare knuckles), I never have any problems with tone.

• Members

As far as I know, the Steinberger Trans-trem is the only transposing vibrato bridge, which also allow you to bend whole chords in tune. It is also the most stable bridge and the easiest to change strings. So in my opinion it is the best vibrato, however you have to be able to get past the 'unusual' looks of a Steinberger guitar.

A personal opinion: Bigsbys look good (right even) on certain guitars (mostly semis and jazzers), but are the least practical. For all the hassle, instability issues and string changing nightmares, it gives little in the way of vibrato-range/options. I'd rather have NO vibrato bridge than a Bigsby.

• Members

I'm a big fan of the Strat trem - I use it a quite heavily on my bone-nutted SRV sig and don't really have any tuning problems - I've never even lubed up my nut or string trees - it stays in tune really well. I'm not a crazy dive-bomber - but I play stuff like Black Night, which is quite trem-heavy.

The guitar has been set up really well though - nut is very well cut which definitely helps. Plus I use medium light strings (11s;)) which stay in tune a bit better.

As an extra note - I really like the left-handed trem on the SRV - it hangs down just where I want it to. I find the regular RH Strat trem hangs down over the controls and gets in the way, and can also get caught up in the jack and cable.

I've also got a cheapy superstrat with a licenced Floyd. Good fun to dive-bomb with, stays in tune really well, but I find the unit is a bit too bulky and gets in the way when I'm not using it. I quite like the recessed ones though.

• Members

I like my Ibanez Edge Pro because Ibanez designed it so that you could purchase a $5 trem-blocker (I think JEM's came with it in the case, it's basically a piece of plexiglass that screws into the block) if you want to block it, as opposed to some 50 dollar contraption.

I like fine tuners and locking nuts, but other than that I hate tremolos.

• Members

Since you were so bold as to post a video I guess I will play along as well.

One of the main things I like to use the vibrato bridge for is to add vibrato to bends and the occasional half or whole step down-bend.

[video=youtube;Q6w3NeQALJQ]

• Members
I like my Ibanez Edge Pro because Ibanez designed it so that you could purchase a $5 trem-blocker (I think JEM's came with it in the case, it's basically a piece of plexiglass that screws into the block) if you want to block it, as opposed to some 50 dollar contraption.

Erm, you can block any trem with a stack of nickles. $50 contraption? lol

• Members

The Gotoh (wilkinson-style) trem on my Suhr is amazing - super smooth and just the right 'give'. Not a big fan of floyds, don't use the Fender trem on my strats much. I've never owned a guitar with a Bigsby, although I've played them at music shops and liked them.

Archived