Best Guitar for New Wave?

Faust1587

• Members

Ive been getting into alot of 80s and I realize that I love the sound of clean jangly guitar AND rocking distortion. Steve Stevens, Warren Cuccurullo, Paul Reno Reynolds (a flock of seagulls), and John Mcgeoch (Siouxsie and the Banshees) all epitomise this for me. I know these guys play humbucking guitars... what guitar would get me there? I dont necessarily have to have the same equipment they have. I've been thinking of a Yamaha SG or SBG just because I like the looks of them. I played one but I'm just not used to Gibson style guitars.

• Members

John McGeoch is the best guitarist of that genre/era. One of my fave guitarists -very overlooked.

He mostly used a Yamaha SG. Also used a Strat in early Magazine.

[video=youtube;lJDY0w-lR0c]

• Members

I love the Yamaha SG, but the weight is an issue for me. I play guitar and sing, so I would probably have to get a cheaper Yamaha 200 which I heard is alot lighter. But yeah I love his style, hes the reason why I have a MXR Flanger. I noticed it was a pretty 80s guitar - Duran Duran, Big Country, A Flock of Seagulls, and Kajagoogoo (sp?) used 'em

• Members

Ive been getting into alot of 80s and I realize that I love the sound of clean jangly guitar AND rocking distortion. Steve Stevens, Warren Cuccurullo, Paul Reno Reynolds (a flock of seagulls), and John Mcgeoch (Siouxsie and the Banshees) all epitomise this for me. I know these guys play humbucking guitars... what guitar would get me there? I dont necessarily have to have the same equipment they have. I've been thinking of a Yamaha SG or SBG just because I like the looks of them. I played one but I'm just not used to Gibson style guitars.

This is the naked truth:

Any style of music can be played on any electric guitar, provided the guitar is actually playable. The only exception is tremolo bridges (if you need em or not).

Archived