No announcement yet.

Best Guitar for New Wave?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Guitar for New Wave?

Ive been getting into alot of 80s and I realize that I love the sound of clean jangly guitar AND rocking distortion. Steve Stevens, Warren Cuccurullo, Paul Reno Reynolds (a flock of seagulls), and John Mcgeoch (Siouxsie and the Banshees) all epitomise this for me. I know these guys play humbucking guitars... what guitar would get me there? I dont necessarily have to have the same equipment they have. I've been thinking of a Yamaha SG or SBG just because I like the looks of them. I played one but I'm just not used to Gibson style guitars.

play what you want on what you like.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov, Newsweek (21 January 1980)

Comment

I'm always going to say Yamaha SG, they are awesome, but lots of other guitars will get you there.

Comment

Any guitar that I'm selling will work nicely for you.

Comment

John McGeoch is the best guitarist of that genre/era. One of my fave guitarists -very overlooked.
          He mostly used a Yamaha SG. Also used a Strat in early Magazine.

Comment

elliot easton sg would be my pick.

but an ovation breadwinner (?) would be cool.... Robert Smith played one in Siouxsie and the Banshees. they def look more 80s than an SG

a tele would work too. Double E played them alot back then

stuff:
            52RI Tele
            Gibson SG 1970s Tribute
            more stuff:
            65 Twin Reverb Reissue
            Cox Tweed Deluxe Ultimate

The REAL Angry

Comment

A nicely equipped HSS strat would likely give you the versatility to cover all things 80s, especially if you have a coil tapping switch for the humbucker.

Comment

...note the cutaway

It was sawed off and glued back on backwards.

Comment

play what you want on what you like.

Exactly.

Thrashy Speed Metal on a Rickenbacker Semi-hollow is GO!

The Collection Thus Far:
                    2010 PRS 25th Anniv. Mira (USA)
                    2005 Limited Edition Antigua Stratocaster Reissue (CIJ)
                    2001 Martin DC-15E (USA)

Comment

Im using Blacktop Jazzmaster, but yeah I agree a HSS strat would work just as well

Comment

I love the Yamaha SG, but the weight is an issue for me. I play guitar and sing, so I would probably have to get a cheaper Yamaha 200 which I heard is alot lighter. But yeah I love his style, hes the reason why I have a MXR Flanger. I noticed it was a pretty 80s guitar - Duran Duran, Big Country, A Flock of Seagulls, and Kajagoogoo (sp?) used 'em

Comment

[QUOTE=Radar-Love;46491999]

...note the cutaway

It was sawed off and glued back on backwards.

Those guys were geniuses. Must have been the hats.
                          ♪ Cats 'n' Strats, 'cause that's how I roll

I Surf therefore I am.
                          Strat Blender Pot Modification HERE

Originally Posted by Mike Eldred, Fender Custom Shop

The discussion about nitro (and many things on forums like these) is largely based on folklore, innuendo, and assumption that it "sounds better". Poppycock.

Comment

Rick Ocasek used a Jazzmaster
                            Johhny Marr used a Jaguar
                            The dudes from INXS used Strats
                            Andy Taylor from Duran Duran used a Tele quite a bit

Grab what you got and run with it.
                            ♪ Cats 'n' Strats, 'cause that's how I roll

I Surf therefore I am.
                            Strat Blender Pot Modification HERE

Originally Posted by Mike Eldred, Fender Custom Shop

The discussion about nitro (and many things on forums like these) is largely based on folklore, innuendo, and assumption that it "sounds better". Poppycock.

Comment

Ive been getting into alot of 80s and I realize that I love the sound of clean jangly guitar AND rocking distortion. Steve Stevens, Warren Cuccurullo, Paul Reno Reynolds (a flock of seagulls), and John Mcgeoch (Siouxsie and the Banshees) all epitomise this for me. I know these guys play humbucking guitars... what guitar would get me there? I dont necessarily have to have the same equipment they have. I've been thinking of a Yamaha SG or SBG just because I like the looks of them. I played one but I'm just not used to Gibson style guitars.

This is the naked truth:

Any style of music can be played on any electric guitar, provided the guitar is actually playable. The only exception is tremolo bridges (if you need em or not).

Comment

h/s/s strat.
                                Guitars: Godin Session CB, Larrivee D-05, Ibanez RG, Hagstrom Swede
                                Amps/Cabs: Fargen Miniplex MKII, Egnater Tweaker, Fender Mustang III, Mills Afterburner 4x12

Good deals: Dimebag11, guitarslinger, ThePunisherTF, Wayne87mott, Kev324, zack, alaskaehlers, c2ply, ak37, droptrd, dboy5150, dropthisd, rbasaria, Shooto, Jon Hiller, DoubleBarrel, BabyDaddy, Edge11, bdhn, the gunslinger

"Hi, I'm Yesterday...and today I am looking for Tomorrow"- Maina

Comment

Working...
                                X