Thinking about dropping down to one guitar

Lonnie99

• Members

I don't play much, or well. I don't gig or ever plan to. I've got a good amp and enough pedals to make whatever sounds I want from a SSS Strat. I love guitars, love buying and selling them, love tinkering with them and fixing them for others, but I really don't see the need for me to have 5 electric guitars taking up space around here. I have one that I reach for first every time and only pick up the others because they're there and I feel like I should. If they weren't I wouldn't miss them. I do want to learn to play better and I really believe that between all the buying/selling/tinkering and all the hours spent on boards like this I'm wasting a crapload of time better spent. Maybe I should just put them in the back of my closet instead and rotate them out....... :)

• Members

if you don't gig or anything like that then 1 guitar is sufficient.

I don't gig (yet?) and certainly enjoy having more than 1 guitar. I jam with my friends about once a week and play a lot by myself. I love switching it up and getting different sounds with different instruments. I get a lot of joy, relaxation, and mental (right brain) stimulation out of playing and continuing to learn about music (genres, theory, etc). So - for me - having different instruments to enjoy and inspire myself with is more important than having different instruments to entertain other people with.... Not to say one is more important than the other - just where I am.

So, to the OP, I'd say that if you enjoy playing a particular guitar now and again - keep it. If you play from a sense of obligation - sell it. And keep your eyes open for something else......

• Members

Since my accident/incident or whatever, I've only had one of my guitars around me (my Daisy Rock) and in terms of sound and playability, there's nothing I've been unable to do. That said, I have two minihumbuckers with two mini-toggles for series/parallel/split, so obviously the sound is more versatile than most guitars.

• Members

I don't play much, or well. I don't gig or ever plan to. I've got a good amp and enough pedals to make whatever sounds I want from a SSS Strat. I love guitars, love buying and selling them, love tinkering with them and fixing them for others, but I really don't see the need for me to have 5 electric guitars taking up space around here. I have one that I reach for first every time and only pick up the others because they're there and I feel like I should. If they weren't I wouldn't miss them. I do want to learn to play better and I really believe that between all the buying/selling/tinkering and all the hours spent on boards like this I'm wasting a crapload of time better spent. Maybe I should just put them in the back of my closet instead and rotate them out.......
:)

Pretty much everything you do in life is just wasting time. In the long run nothing we do really matters. But if you want to trim down to 1 guitar there's definitely nothing wrong with that.

• Members

Makes sense. But I'd suggest hanging on to at least one more. Something that really tends to do something or play somehow different than the rest (like one HB guitar with a flatter fb radius, e.g.).

I've got a lot more than 5 guitars, but I never ever want to come across as boasting it, because part of me thinks it is totally crazy to build up collections unless you live in a huge multi-room house with plenty of bucks to splurge (and that does not define my situation). So the "less is more" mentality is more valid than not.

• Members

I played one guitar for about 8 years. While it covered a lot of ground, I still felt limited in tonal variation. Now that I have two guitars, with one being a Strat and the other a Les Paul, I find that I have everything covered. The Strat is still my go-to guitar and is the one that always feels "right" where as my LP feels like the "other woman," but not having the LP really makes me feel limited.

Now with two guitars, I can honestly say I'm set on guitars for many years. At this point I'm not going to buy another electric unless it's for "hanging art."

• Members

It's about enjoying yourself with these guitars, and If working on them brings you joy, whether you gig on NOT is not relevant:thu:You want 5?:) Keep them and enjoy them. Want a few more?:idea: Go ahead and make it happen:love:If you want them and they make you happy, they justify their right to live in your house, and you don't need to justify it in anyway:thu:.......................The REAL Rocker.

• Members

Makes sense. But I'd suggest hanging on to at least one more. Something that really tends to do something or play somehow different than the rest (like one HB guitar with a flatter fb radius, e.g.).

I've got a lot more than 5 guitars, but I never ever want to come across as boasting it, because part of me thinks it is totally crazy to build up collections unless you live in a huge multi-room house with plenty of bucks to splurge (and that does not define my situation). So the "less is more" mentality is more valid than not.

Yup... I like 2.

It's manageable (you don't have a bunch of guitars sitting in cases not being played) and you get enough variety to keep happy.

• Members

It depends what you want to do. Wheeling and dealing, tinkering, it's fun in and of itself and there's nothing wrong with that. But if you want to focus on being a better player and getting good tone, it's often better to have a "go-to" that's comfortable, dialed in, and lets you focus on playing and not on the guitar. Long run, I do think multiple guitars allow you to get a certain level of variety/tonal diversity that makes you a more inspired player...like a painter with more colors. But early on, I personally think it's better not to overwhelm yourself.

• Members

I think it's a good idea ... for someone other than me.
:D
I like too many of mine to get down to just one.

Why get married to just one woman when you can have a harem?

That's been my logic too. No matter how much I tell my wife (like the T-Mobile woman for example) "honey she's so slender, we could easily slip her in here between me and you" she won't go for it. :rolleyes:

But when it comes to guitars, she's let me get away with a lot of bad {censored}. :evil:

Archived