Whats the most you'd spend on a guitar online without trying it out first?

StevenJM

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My most is around 1400 or so. Used guitar.

I don't base it on cost though. I base it on the brand's reputation for quality and consistency.

It's somewhat relative to price with the guitars I like to buy. So in actuality the MORE I would spend, the LESS nervous I would be. Because the guitars I like that are pricey...have impeccable reputations. Literally.

• Members

I spent $250 on my import Hamer Duotone. I would spend more, if it was a guitar that I really wanted. I lost quite a few eBay auctions for a Gibson Faded Double Cut LP Special, but I was willing to spend about $500ish for that.

• Members

I bought a Lp standard online for around 2200, but that came with a 30 day return thing. I think the most I have spent without any return offer was about 1,500 for a used steinberger. Both cases worked out great and the guitars are monster players.

• Members

The only electric I've bought online was my American Special Tele which I would on sale for $750.00... I figured it was a tele so I could mod the hell of out of it if I didn't like it... thankfully there was no need to

• Members

When, for some senseless reasons, I had convinced myself that I wanted a Heritage, I contacted the only real dealer in Germany He had a nice looking H575 in natural finish with Seth Lovers. I phoned him a few times with questions and when I was ready to order it, he said that he didn't want me to order it to try which was very unusual and when I later phoned to order it in spite of that risk, he said it was sold. I was quite pissed. Then I found a Heritage H575 in another store and ordered it with a return policy but I stupidly tried to like the guitar until it was too late to send it back and wasted 2,000 euros in the bargain. Worst money and most money i ever spent on a guitar.

• Members

Two of my electrics were special orders, so by nature the individual guitars were sight unseen. Worked out quite well both times. In both cases I was working with K-Line, a small boutique builder, and G&L, which in my experience makes very consistent guitars, so the concern of getting a lemon wasn't there as it might be with certain other brands.

Archived