What's The Next Big Guitar Fad?

Doctor Morbius

• Members

Seems like relics have been the big fad for the past 5 or so years. What's the next big fad going to be? Will it be dipping guitars in heavy poly syrup? Will bright neon colors from the 1980s make a comeback?

What will be the next wave of fashion in guitars? Seems like there's been an uptick in the popularity of offsets by the non-Surf crowd.

• Members

I feel like I'm seeing a lot more people into Fender Offsets recently...Jags, Mustangs, Jazzmasters, etc. It's hip to dig the unloved Fender designs

That's what I've been noticing. Xaviere, Agile, Fender AVRI, Fender MIM, Squier are all selling offsets.

Fortunately for me, this happens to be a trend I like because of my appreciation for Surf music.

• Members

The next big thing is going to be more computer integration into guitars. Many ludites will scoff at this and I'm sure I'll get {censored} for even saying it but, while maybe they didn't do it "right" or well enough, Gibson was on the right track with the Robot guitar, Firebird X and Dusk Tiger. Whether you like it or not, the future is digital and the music industry is not going to keep itself outside of that.

• Members

I think offsets will countinue to be popular for a while, as will Teles. I wouldn't be surprised to see EMGs rise in popularity as amp modeling advances. I'd also expect other high-tech things to pop up, like more midi triggers, etc. A lot of people are making music/sampling things on their laptops like DJs. Guitars can start to be used as synths for that application, and if the technology is made for it, it could be big.

• Members

The next big thing is going to be more computer integration into guitars. Many ludites will scoff at this and I'm sure I'll get {censored} for even saying it but, while maybe they didn't do it "right" or well enough, Gibson was on the right track with the Robot guitar, Firebird X and Dusk Tiger. Whether you like it or not, the future is digital and the music industry is not going to keep itself outside of that.

I disagree. Digital music has been around since the 80s and there've been numerous attempts to integrate digital controls into guitars since then. They haven't caught on, because there are a lot of us guitarists who really aren't that interested in become knob-twiddling synthesizer players...

• Members

I disagree. Digital music has been around since the 80s and there've been numerous attempts to integrate digital controls into guitars since then. They haven't caught on, because there are a lot of us guitarists who really aren't that interested in become knob-twiddling synthesizer players...

Yeah, I know that it has been tried before many times but going back to the attempts in the 80's and subsequent attempts, the technology wasn't really there. 80's were really the dawn of personal computers; that continued on in the 90's until we got to where we are today, where tech/computers are 100% integrated into everyone's lives. I think that tech will have a serious impact in a practical, straigth forward way. I'm not talking people fiddling with sythesizers; the tech will be more integrated. Much like how many people instinctively use an iPhone, soon technology will be seamlessly integrated into the instruments. Just a guess, obviously I don't know, but that's my thought.

• Members

Yeah, I know that it has been tried before many times but going back to the attempts in the 80's and subsequent attempts, the technology wasn't really there. 80's were really the dawn of personal computers; that continued on in the 90's until we got to where we are today, where tech/computers are 100% integrated into everyone's lives. I think that tech will have a serious impact in a practical, straigth forward way. I'm not talking people fiddling with sythesizers; the tech will be more integrated. Much like how many people instinctively use an iPhone, soon technology will be seamlessly integrated into the instruments. Just a guess, obviously I don't know, but that's my thought.

If you make the comparison to an iphone, that certainly sounds more inviting than the stuff we've seen before. I COULD see a guitar that -- for example -- allowed you to pre-set a number of specific patches based on a set list. That would be useful. However, I do think that the "on the fly" systems that we've seen incorporated into guitars so far are just plain too confining, complicated, and fragile.

Archived