the (almost) perfect restring!

Angry Tele

• Members

check it out, I saw this video posted here a few months ago and I saved it even though all I have is Teles with SafeT posts, but then of course I bought a Gibson so now I got a chance to use this technique and it works great. I almost nailed a perfect 3-4 wrap/post restring on the first try. Id say thats a Bronze medal. Im on the podium! :wave:

anwhoo heres the video (I know restringing its so easy yada yada)

[video=youtube;zGLMy6DbpBc]

string10.jpg

string9.jpg

string8.jpg

string6.jpg

string5.jpg

string2.jpg

the only {censored} up. im so accustomed to 6 inline that the Gibson style threw me off :mad:

string4.jpg

• Members

I can't get the video to work, but it looks like you're putting the string through the post and winding it downward. On those kinds of posts I do 1 wrap above the slot and 1 below on the heavier gauge strings, but quite a few more on B and high e. On the vintage style posts I do about 1.5 wraps on the heavy gauge strings and several on B and high e.

string5.jpg

• Members

I was always taught to use as few wraps as possible. On the low E through the G, I have about 1.5 wraps. On the B and high E, maybe 2 to 2.5.

DSC_5043a1.jpg

This is what my wraps look like except I do more on the B and high e.

Hmmm, funny but I seem to be missing a Robert Cray neck around here. :idk:

• Members

When in doubt, wrap it twice! :p

But seriously, I'll wrap it 3-4x so it gets the string down on the tuning peg for more pressure on the nut - especially on a non-angled headstock. I want to believe you get more sustain with more windings, but I have no proof of such, and it might have no impact.

Archived