The Peavey HP Specials never took off.

EricJohn

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've come so close to pullin the trigger on a number of hp specials.. there was a stunning CT model on ebay recently for around $1300.. ridiculous good quality guitar, on par with wolfgang in most aspects.

wolfgangs are pretty cheap right now.. you guys might want to stock up =)

• Members

They never seemed to do too much advertising for the guitars.

I think that Peavey is really lacking in the business sophistication department. They just don't seem capable of getting past their roots as an amps and PA equipment company.

• Members

The HP special's were Wolfgang's that PV modified. In truth, a real wolfie played better. I had the import PV HP Special and it sounded like a load of steaming dog turd. I've owned 2 PV wolfgang's and they were superb!

While I'm an admitted Peavey fanboy, I can faithfully say that comparing a Korean import to a legitimate American Peavey isn't exactly fair. Their early 90's USA stuff was occasionally pretty average, but I've yet to play an American Peavey made in the last ten or fifteen years - Limited, Firenza, various HP models - that wouldn't beat your average Fender/Gibson into the ground. What's more, where most Wolfgangs are dive-only, Floyd'd Peavey HPs have recessed tremolo cavities as God willed it.

/rant

• Members

My Peavey Wolfie was an unbelievable guitar....everytime i see a US Peavey thread I get all mad for gettin rid of it....other than the frets being a little small for my tastes (and thats strictly a preference thing), the guitar was perfect in every way.....tone for days man!!!!

• Members

My Peavey Wolfie was an unbelievable guitar....everytime i see a US Peavey thread I get all mad for gettin rid of it....other than the frets being a little small for my tastes (and thats strictly a preference thing), the guitar was perfect in every way.....tone for days man!!!!

Craig you should pick another wolf up.. There pretty cheap on ebay and plenty to choose from

• Members

I dont know how many times I have posted this on forums, but I look at the way EBMM conducted business and Peavey as how to be a success and how to fail. EBMM was a tiny little company who landed the biggest player of his era and after a year were able to move into a big new factory, and even after he bolted continued on working with top players and producing top shelf all US built guitars.On the other hand Peavey was a big company who never had any respect in the guitar community, though they turned out blue collar US made guitars that were great buys, and solid guitars. That all changed once they landed the big fish in the pond and overnight they had the respect they always craved, and showed they could produce a top shelf guitar with the big boys. They also opened a killer CS that started with 4 guys that produced some of the best sounding and playing guitars I ever played or heard. But they set their sites on the Asian market, closed down the Leaksville plant and lost Ed, but that should not of been the end of it all as EBMM proved. But I guess Hartley did not care about losing what momentum and respect they built up and shifted just about the whole guitar work load to Asia. If he would of taken the same route as EBMM and picked a few top players to work with as endorsers, instead of naming models after himself and a bottle of Jack Daniels they may still be rolling. Instead the CS has closed it's doors for good and they are turning out $299 pieces of {censored}. I would advise anyone to sit on ebay and grab a CS HP Special which are one of the best bargains you will find for a grand before they are all gone.Others may see things differently but that is the way I view the whole saga.

• Members

Craig you should pick another wolf up.. There pretty cheap on ebay and plenty to choose from

Yeah man i know...im always thinking in my head bout WHEN im going to grab another PEAVEY Wolfie...and a stoptail....i freaking love those guitars..yeah i havent checked the prices lately but i remember them being all over the place....i bought mine NOS so i paid a little more, but i love em...

• Members

I dont know how many times I have posted this on forums, but I look at the way EBMM conducted business and Peavey as how to be a success and how to fail. EBMM was a tiny little company who landed the biggest player of his era and after a year were able to move into a big new factory, and even after he bolted continued on working with top players and producing top shelf all US built guitars.On the other hand Peavey was a big company who never had any respect in the guitar community, though they turned out blue collar US made guitars that were great buys, and solid guitars. That all changed once they landed the big fish in the pond and overnight they had the respect they always craved, and showed they could produce a top shelf guitar with the big boys. They also opened a killer CS that started with 4 guys that produced some of the best sounding and playing guitars I ever played or heard. But they set their sites on the Asian market, closed down the Leaksville plant and lost Ed, but that should not of been the end of it all as EBMM proved. But I guess Hartley did not care about losing what momentum and respect they built up and shifted just about the whole guitar work load to Asia. If he would of taken the same route as EBMM and picked a few top players to work with as endorsers, instead of naming models after himself and a bottle of Jack Daniels they may still be rolling. Instead the CS has closed it's doors for good and they are turning out $299 pieces of {censored}. I would advise anyone to sit on ebay and grab a CS HP Special which are one of the best bargains you will find for a grand before they are all gone.Others may see things differently but that is the way I view the whole saga.

I take the same view as you. I picked up a HP Special Black FT with case for $500 from a Seymour Duncan forum seller. Fantastic guitar. Would like to add a Peavey HP Special CT USA when I find one for the right price.

• Members

I picked up a HP Special Black FT with case for $500 from a Seymour Duncan forum seller. Fantastic guitar. Would like to add a Peavey HP Special CT USA when I find one for the right price.

There are some out there. Acquired this USA Stoptail just recently --

2m34dpi.jpg

-- and like it more than the USA Wolfie Hardtail I let go of last year.

Archived