For those of you who think theres no skill in electronic music

Engl Kramer

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

im guessing that he is using abelton....it puts everything in time for you...the hard part really is the prep...and remembering your routine and what pad does what....i dj for fun on the side and i can do live remixes in traktor...now im not gonna even say im that great...but doing this kind of thing in abelton isnt really that hard. it is still cool:cool:
here is a live remix i did a few months back

like i said....i am no pro...but i think what i am doing here is "technicly tougher than what is above....because it is truly live...(i know music is kinda queer);)

• Members

I read about this video on the Ableton forums a couple of years ago...

It was not done in a single take, but many small "a couple notes here, a couple notes there" takes and then clipped together to give the illusion it was done in a single take.

• Members

It was not done in a single take, but many small "a couple notes here, a couple notes there" takes and then clipped together to give the illusion it was done in a single take.

So it doesn't take any skill to make {censored}ty music?

• Members

I watched it again looking for edits but I can't see any.

I have watched a lot of youtube videos in the past with people using this technique of playing live music using sample pads (I'm sure it has a name but I don't know what it is).

This one struck me as being the most impressive but not to a degree that it might be fake.

• Members

Are you deliberately missing the point of that quote?

FZ was a pioneer in the field of electronic music. I think he would have been excited to see it become a live performance medium.

No, I'm not. He's saying that you shouldn't base your musical tastes on what other people think is good or bad. You like the music you posted, so it's good. I don't, so it's bad. We have different tastes and opinions, that's all. Nothing wrong with that.

• Members

No, I'm not. He's saying that you shouldn't base your musical tastes on what other people think is good or bad. You like the music you posted, so it's good. I don't, so it's bad. We have different tastes and opinions, that's all. Nothing wrong with that.

OK cool. I'd shake your hand but I don't know if you've put your pitch fork down;)

• Members

most people here would rather hear someone dick around in Amin pent position 5, so i don't know why you hoped for a good reaction
;)

Yup - I was gently teasing the old guard but hoped (as with yourself) that some would bring something positive.
I prefer stuff that sounds a bit more live which is why I liked the clip in my OP.
Dance-

Pop-

• Members

In my opinion composing anything somebody else likes takes at least a little skill - the best "electronic" artists are just as gifted musically as those who stick to other genres.

You'll never convince some.

Really?

Show me the electronic equivalent of Beethoven, or Oscar Peterson, or Mark O'Connor, or Jascha Heifetz or Jerry Douglas.

Because what was posted in the OP AIN't it.

Archived