Trade opinions needed! SG Classic vs SG 100

eyeamtheggman

• Members

I stopped in to a local mom n pop shop today, and saw this sweet SG100 hanging on the wall

T2eC16VHJIQE9qUHtG6gBQBYG6M5I60_57.jpg

It's heavily modded, not in too good of shape. Plenty of gashes and bang ups. Non-original tuners that are kind of crappy (Grovers, but they didn't seem to be too good), but they said that it seemed as if all the work was done professionally, and around the time the guitar was made.

It sounds freakin' awesome. The only humbucker I've ever liked (Fender guy here..). They want $500 for it and I really want it.

I was thinking of trading my SG Classic for it + cash on their end. I never really bonded with it, so figured I can let it go and grab some cash to fix my Bandmaster.

Is $500 a fair price for this guitar? Likewise, how much cash would be fair to trade the Classic for on top of the SG100?

• Members

I think I'd rather keep my SG Classic, but you played it (the one above) I didn't.

Well that SG looks like it was a bargain basement version of an SG, so in that respect $500 seems a bit high, but OTOH, seeing as I've never seen something just like that one before (I mean, a neck pup only SG??) I can see why they might think its vintage and relative rarity might warrant that price. It falls under what's often thought of as a Gibson '70s oddity. I used to have a Gibson L6S that also fit in that category. When I let it go in the '90s, it was only worth around 2-fiddy. But prices have been working their way up on these '70s oddities"

Only matters if it's worth it to you :thu:

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2010/May/A_70s_Oddity_The_Gibson_SG200.aspx

According to that link above, that guitar should have a single coil pickup. So it may have been modded.

• Members

The SG100 DEFINITELY spoke to me...much more than the Classic and I've tried really hard to make the Classic "mine."

I'd love to let go of the Classic for this AND have some $ to get a cap job on my Bandmaster. My basic question is what amount of $ should I ask for on top of the trade?

My Classic is bone stock, mint condition. I will upload some pics later.

Do you think trade plus $300 is too much? Just trying to find a "fair" starting point you know?

• Members

The SG100 DEFINITELY spoke to me...much more than the Classic and I've tried really hard to make the Classic "mine."

I'd love to let go of the Classic for this AND have some $ to get a cap job on my Bandmaster. My basic question is what amount of $ should I ask for on top of the trade?

My Classic is bone stock, mint condition. I will upload some pics later.

Do you think trade plus $300 is too much? Just trying to find a "fair" starting point you know?

the store will let you know what they're willing to do, so i'd lead in with the offer you want and let them try to steer you to want they're comfortable with. they are a business and will try to come out on top, so i'd expect the counteroffer to be low. based on the little i know (and want to know) about the SG100 model and without knowing what condition your classic is in, i'd say you should start with a trade + $300 and see what they say.

• Members

I've never even seen one of those in person. It's like a Jazz SG. :lol:

As popular as P90 guitars are these days, I'd definitely try to get them to ante up the full $300... even if it meant walking away the first day if they don't seem to think $300 is what they were wanting to give. And though it's obvious, I'd definitely verbally point out how much easier it would be to move a Classic.

I'd definitely rather have a nice Classic than that but as almost everyone else has said, if you don't dig the Classic and you think you'll bond with this long-term, then go for it. On the other hand, if there's any chance you think you might not be fully bonded with this a year or two from now, I'd imagine it will be kinda hard to move without putting money/work into it.

• Members

I've never even seen one of those in person. It's like a Jazz SG.
:lol:

As popular as P90 guitars are these days, I'd definitely try to get them to ante up the full $300... even if it meant walking away the first day if they don't seem to think $300 is what they were wanting to give. And though it's obvious, I'd definitely verbally point out how much easier it would be to move a Classic.

I'd definitely rather have a nice Classic than that but as almost everyone else has said, if you don't dig the Classic and you think you'll bond with this long-term, then go for it.
On the other hand, if there's any chance you think you might not be fully bonded with this a year or two from now, I'd imagine it will be kinda hard to move without putting money/work into it.

if you decide to make the trade, do it because you are really blown away by the SG100 and don't see yourself parting with it once the "honeymoon" has come and gone. you should assume that if you ever try to part with the SG100 down the road, you will likely get VERY little in return for it (either cash or trade value), and it will take a LONG time to find an interested buyer, no matter what amount of work you put into it.

• Members

Ive had the classic for a year and I havent been able to love it. I bought it off Craigslist for a great price, but ive definitely played better sounding ones since.

I think i cam wiggle out $300 with the epiphone hardshell case that came with it.

I can always buy another classic down the line....i will never be ablento get this one again ( well odds are slim) AND i get my poor ol bandmaster into the doctor. I havent been ablento gig it in years.

Im going to bring it by the shop tomorrow and see what they say. Wish me luck

• Members

Not a fan of the SG-100 and SG-200 but, beyond that, it seems very strange and unlikely than a store will offer to throw in cash. You haven't discussed this with them, have you?

It's a {censored}ty deal for them, bad business. The rule in retail is to always take in some cash on *every* transaction, many won't even do a straight trade. A used SG Classic sells for $600-800 dollars. That means it's trade in value it $400-500 to most shops. They need to make 50% profit on top of what they pay you. If they offered you a straight trade, they still won't see any income until they sell the Classic, and if they can only sell it for $700-800 tops, they would be fools to spend capital as well.

So, I guessing you haven't pitched this to them...or they aren't going to be in business much longer because they don't have a head for it.

I would say when you start talking trade, they'll let you have the SG-100 for the Classic plus you paying in another $50-100 dollars.

• Members

Good luck with the trade.

I have to admit that I have an SG Classic and never totally bonded with it either. The odd part is that I bought a SG '70s Tribute (essentially a stripped down Classic) a year ago and I like it quite a bit better. I'm not really sure why, but it just struck me as being more vibey and resonant. Maybe due to the lighter finish :idk:

Another forumite here had the same experience.

• Members

Not a fan of the SG-100 and SG-200 but, beyond that, it seems very strange and unlikely than a store will offer to throw in cash. You haven't discussed this with them, have you?

It's a {censored}ty deal for them, bad business. The rule in retail is to always take in some cash on *every* transaction, many won't even do a straight trade. A used SG Classic sells for $600-800 dollars. That means it's trade in value it $400-500 to most shops. They need to make 50% profit on top of what they pay you. If they offered you a straight trade, they still won't see any income until they sell the Classic, and if they can only sell it for $700-800 tops, they would be fools to spend capital as well.

So, I guessing you haven't pitched this to them...or they aren't going to be in business much longer because they don't have a head for it.

I would say when you start talking trade, they'll let you have the SG-100 for the Classic plus
you paying
in another $50-100 dollars.

Gawd, stop being such an adult.

:D

• Members

That SG100 probably has a skinny neck, right? Most '70s era SGs I've played had thinner neck profiles. I know my SG Classic has a kinda fat neck with a kinda akward (to me) profile. I've never really bonded with it either. I prefer SGs with slimmer necks. I eventually want to grab one of those Pete Tornshend SGs so I'll have to two P-90s with the skinny neck.

• Members

I was just floored by how much the SG100 responded like my Strat and Tele...maybe it's the wraparound bridge? It was twangy and extremely responsive playing wise, and clear and spanky through the amp.

The neck had a little to do with it. I do enjoy the neck on the Classic, though, and rarely have bad things to say about neck shapes. I'm pretty flexible and generally enjoy the way neck shapes alter my playing style ever so slightly.

When I do play my Classic, I find that I rarely use the bridge pickup, so I'm fine with not having one on the SG100.

What I find wrong about my Classic is how it sounds when I bend a note...there's just something wrong about it. It kind of sounds rounded off? That's the only way I can describe it. The strings "womp" when I bend...this is not a bridge/metal sound, but rather a detail inherent to the guitar, almost as if my bends are not fluid. I did not experience this with the SG100 at all.

Maybe try to wraparound my nashville bridge on the classic? Idk, I love the aethetics of my Classic (Iommi got me to playing guitar!) and I'd love to figure out what the issue is with the bending...that's what's stopping it from being MY guitar! Anyone else experience this?

• Members

i would never trade an sg classic for that monstrosity. theyd have to give me $500.

Yeah, I so agree with this, that I at first assume that the OP's post was a joke of some sort.

But hey, whatever makes a player happy--as long as it's not too illegal.

Archived