Squier VM Jazzmaster versus Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster

MILFboi

• Members

So, are these 2 Jazzmasters essentially the same guitar but with different finishes and a custom pickguard on the J Mascis model? Both seem to have the same neck, controls, and hardware. The VM Jazzmaster sells for $299 and the J Mascis Jazzmaster sells for $399.

,thanks in advance

==============================================

Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster

Body: Basswood

Body Shape: Jazzmaster

• Members

Mascis:

Jumbo Frets

Tailpiece closer to body

Look a lot like P90 style pickups under the covers

Anodized pickguard will affect tone

Tune-O-Matic bridge

VM:

Medium Jumbo Frets

Tailpiece is Vintage Correct

Duncan Designed pickups (presumably closer to Jazzmaster pickups)

Standard pickguard

Vintage-style Bridge

• Members

Mascis:

Jumbo Frets

VM:

Medium Jumbo Frets

heh... Completely missed the difference in frets... Thanks.

I could gladly live with either, but I suspect I might like the VM slightly more in the long run, unless the different bridge on the Mascis and the lowered tailpiece on the Mascis bring refinements to playability or stability over the vintage JM design. Also, not so sure which fret size I'd like better. hmmmm....

• Members

Both are awesome! I sat in on a gig recently, other guy had a Mascis, sounded very p90-esque through his Silverface Deluxe. It felt really nice as well. I just picked up the newer VM, and am putting it through it's paces. Feels good (I like the smaller frets), and I like the sound of the DD pickups. Beauty fit 'n' finish too! Both are stellar buys....

Jazzy3.jpg

• Members

The squier j mascis also seems to be heavier for some reason. It is probably around 9lbs or so on avg. The VMJMs seem to be pretty light, maybe in high 7s on average. I have seen people who have both descibe the mascis as heavier, some describe the Mascis they played as a heavy guitar. While people generally describe the VMJMs as a reasonable weight or even very light.

The general consensus is the Mascis has more consistent quality control. The VMs seem to have more problems with poor finishes, poor neck pockets, pickguard issues, and by the nature of its bridge and trem position is more difficult to setup.

This is just the general trends I have seen. Some Squier Mascis may be pretty light and some VMJMs certainly have very good QC.

Mascis also has a fatter neck, while the VMs are medium in size like a MIM standard Strat.