Question: Does anybody listen to "High Fidelity Stereo" music anymore?

MyNameIsMok...

• Members

Or is it all mp3 players through computer speakers nowadays?

I know it's crazy, but I want to build another stereo tower rig (tube amp powered with a turntable). Big, square footage eating speakers and all...does anybody still do this? I remember the power and wonderment of setting it all up, then sitting back in a comfy chair and letting the music blow my wig back like the guy in the Maxell tape ads.

Anybody have inpirational pics to share of thier home stereos? Or should I try the Smithsonian Museum?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No inspirational pics, but i do listen through a decent set up. I still buy cds. I run them through a set of Mirage speakers. These aren't modern mini speakers, but 790 towers and a sub. I also have a set of m290's for the rear speakers and a mcsi center. All the Mirage gear has been problem free and sounds great.

• Members

I have to admit, most of my music listening happens on less the ideal systems. And, I don't usually take the time to carefully listen. Instead, music listening is part of my multitasking, while driving or doing other things.

The other week, I took a few hours to listen to some of my Super Audio CD's and DVD Audio discs. I hadn't done that in a long time. It really sounded amazing. It's a shame high end audio technology didn't become more popular with the public at large.

• Members

Or is it all mp3 players through computer speakers nowadays?

I know it's crazy, but I want to build another stereo tower rig (tube amp powered with a turntable). Big, square footage eating speakers and all...does anybody still do this? I remember the power and wonderment of setting it all up, then sitting back in a comfy chair and letting the music blow my wig back like the guy in the Maxell tape ads.

Anybody have inpirational pics to share of thier home stereos? Or should I try the Smithsonian Museum?

Sure! You can still do it today and the cost will NOT be prohibitive! Something like these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynaco-Dynakit-Mark-III-Mark-3-60-Watt-amplifiers-pair-/330714113960?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item4d0018e7a8

or this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-DYNACO-STEREO-70-ST70-TUBE-AMPLIFIER-/170819610695?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item27c5a46847

with this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-DYNACO-PAS-3-STEREO-TUBE-PRE-AMPLIFIER-/170819611987?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item27c5a46d53

and these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beautiful-Vintage-Advent-Speaker-Speakers-A-Rocking-Sound-Fried-Egg-Tweeter-/360448220849?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item53ec635eb1

• Members

I have a set of Klipsch's that are fantastic but no records,just CD's anymore....the ol' lady is always telling me to turn it down when I turn it on:facepalm:

Yeah, well the best system in the house gets lots of gaming music through it....:facepalm:

I do most of my listening in my car or truck, when there's nobody but me to care.

• Members

Yeah, well the best system in the house gets lots of gaming music through it....
:facepalm:

I do most of my listening in my car or truck, when there's nobody but me to care.

Lol,most of my listening is in my truck heading to a oil rig 2-3 hours away or in headphones so I don't mess her movie watchin' up:mad:

• Members

Nope. Digital audio files through a set of monitors pointed right at my ears. I work at home and never really stop listening to music some days, so the need to just flop in an Eames lounger and turn up a record just ain

• Members

I listen to my iPod if I'm passively listening, i.e. listening to music while cooking, tidying up the house, or something like that. I listen to vinyl when I'm actively listening, i.e. sitting in an armchair (with or without a cold drink) and enjoying the music. Whether it's iPod or turntable, it's through an old NAD receiver into my Paradigm Monitor series speakers. Budget gear, but solid quality and great sound.

• Members

Anybody have inspirational pics to share of their home stereos? Or should I try the Smithsonian Museum?

I miss those days.

I still have my audiophile speakers, they were a high-end Pioneer product.

natural-small.jpg

My turntable was second from the top in the Sony line. Its feet are oil-filled to block vibrations. (The top of the line Sony had a graphite arm and oil filled platter mat.)

And my receiver, although it wasn't tube, was a great sounding Sansui.

8080DB.jpg

The receiver sadly is in need of repair (has a loss of power on one side - it's in storage). The last time I brought it in for repair, I was told they couldn't get the parts, but I think they can probably be found these days easier than back before the days of the explosion of on-line access.

But I still have the rest of the gear.

I had to move the speakers to my bedroom since they didn't voice-match the Energy line speakers I bought to fill out my home theater set up in the front room. But those speakers were more enjoyable and more life like than the stuff I replaced it with. With a Shefield lab album, you could close your eyes and just about believe the musicians were there in the room with you.

I miss the warmth of analog signals, but I don't miss the inevitable pops that would develop on vinyl.

And sadly, yeah, I mostly listen to music through my PC speakers or in the car now. My original HiFi equipment is now almost 35 years older (from the same year Elvis died) and unfortunately so am I.

I'm missing another accessory that also used to make that level of music listening that captivating.

Happy hunt. It's harder to find audiophile level gear than it used to be. In the late 70s a good size town had several stores devoted to high end gear. Now it seems like Best Buy stores have pushed most of those into extinction.

• Members

I have all kinds of stereo equipment. The only thing I dont care for is huge speakers, I have

always used bookshelf speakers.

My turntable collection is crazy, I have two Bang & Olufsens, three Realistics, two MCS, an

Aiwa, and a Dual. I have a whole room full of vinyl, so this ensures I always have a working

turntable.

• Members

I've recently invested in a mid-range hi-fi system, although partly for home theatre sound. Bought a Denon AV 7.1 receiver/amp and a pair of EPOS Mi12 speakers (along with an EPOS centre speaker for use with movies, and I'm using my old Wharfedales as surrounds). Sounds really sweet and cheap (less than

• Members

No but back in the day when I did have one with a tape to tape deck. We used to put two of the same tapes in and play them almost at the same time for effect, kinda like a chorus flanger sound. Ah, those were the days...

I spent $1300 dollars on my system in 1983 which was a lot of dough back then (gas was 15 cents a litre or about 60 cents a gallon). All of my mates used to come over and we'd just listen to tunes. Life was simple then, good times.

• Members

I miss those days.

natural-small.jpg
My turntable was second from the top in the Sony line. Its feet are oil-filled to block vibrations. (The top of the line Sony had a graphite arm and oil filled platter mat.)

8080DB.jpg

The receiver sadly is in need of repair (has a loss of power on one side - it's in storage). The last time I brought it in for repair, I was told they couldn't get the parts, but I think they can probably be found these days easier than back before the days of the explosion of on-line access.

I had to move the speakers to my bedroom since they didn't voice-match the Energy line speakers I bought to fill out my home theater set up in the front room. But those speakers were more enjoyable and more life like than the stuff I replaced it with. With a Shefield lab album, you could close your eyes and just about believe the musicians were there in the room with you.

I miss the warmth of analog signals, but I don't miss the inevitable pops that would develop on vinyl.

And sadly, yeah, I mostly listen to music through my PC speakers or in the car now. My original HiFi equipment is now almost 35 years older (from the same year Elvis died) and unfortunately so am I.

I'm missing another accessory that also used to make that level of music listening that captivating.

Happy hunt. It's harder to find audiophile level gear than it used to be. In the late 70s a good size town had several stores devoted to high end gear. Now it seems like Best Buy stores have pushed most of those into extinction.

I have those very speakers. They can rattle the windows.

• Members

I do miss it a certain degree...but at the same time having pretty much any music at my finger tips when ever I want it kind of makes the trade off of lower quality worth it.

And great computer set ups can be made as well. I use to run my computer based music through my old Marantz receiver/amp (that looked a lot like that Sansui) and big floor speakers and it sounded amazing.

Eventually I'll get some good reference monitors for my computer and run my music through them.

• Members

I miss those days.

natural-small.jpg

8080DB.jpg

{censored}! Last year I found a similar pair out on the street for trash pickup--HPM 900's--slightly different tweeter and crossover panel, but 4-ways. Why? Woofer surrounds were rotted and the wood-grain vinyl messed up. A $30 re-foam kit from New Foam, a roll of white vinyl, and a good wash of the grills and they were like new! Now in our family room replacing the Boston Acoustics HD-10s. The Pioneers are bigger and put out more sound in a big room, can sit on the floor and being white blend in so I get the happiest, Pareto-optimal solution:

More sound that's richer

Happy wife because they aren't as "ugly" as the HD-10s and vanish more! (that's why "Life-Style" speakers were invented: To appease designers and wives!)

If it's all discrete circuitry, it should be an easy fix. If the receiver uses ICs and an IC is gone, it's a tough fix--eBay for parts, maybe. Other components are usually replaceable, even transformers and condensers. I don't think Sansui solid state receivers have much "vintage" cachet, so the cost of repair is probably not worth it. But not to worry: Stereo solid state receivers--simple two channels are still made, are dirt cheap (approx $200) and kick-ass on the older solid-state stuff--and now have remote controls too! Check out Onkyo's stuff for example.

I only find pairs of speakers don't match if you match them incorrectly. You could use the Pioneers as your back or middle speakers. Our bedroom HT uses Axiom on-walls for the front and center, Niles ceiling speakers for the middle, tiny Boston Acoustics for the rear, and a Speakercraft in-wall sub-woofer and, using the Pioneer receiver's automatic equalizer, it self-adjusts to compensate for all 7.1 speakers. AWESOME sound!

• Members

I do... SVS bookshelves, Hsu Sub, Anthem Pre-amp, Anthem Amp, and Denon Universal player. I've got sound traps in the corners and at first reflection points. Sounds great. I do use IPod alot but everything is at higher bit rates or lossless.

• Members

The only reason I don't have a decent stereo setup is space and money. I'm still in school and at my parents house. Planning to graduate this semester and work towards getting out of the house, and then I'll think about how I want to do my system. I don't have a T.V. for the same reason. Go big or go home.

Archived