GFS SG kit!

guitarheo3

• Members

got this kit for christmas as a total surprise (thanks santa haha). i'm thinking of going with a simple black with gold hardware with faux EMG pickup covers. should be good. really excited to build this. i've always wanted to build a guitar but the idea of making a neck scares the fuck out of me. i like this kit because it's not an easy-peezy-bolt together guitar. i like to think it's building my own guitar with the hard parts already done. but enough with my yammer'n here's some pics:

018.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

022.jpg

023.jpg

024.jpg

025.jpg

028.jpg

029.jpg

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've always been curious to try one of their kits but always fear what I see with yours - an inhability for these producers to run the grain of the wood parallel to the neck. Then you also wind up with pieces that are horribly mismatched. Not knocking your guitar, but you're pretty much stuck doing a solid color or at the least, with yours, a wide burst. Could always lay down a thin veneer too.

• Members

Black? Have you finished a guitar before? Black is the hardest to get right. Make sure it's baby's butt smooooooth or the slightest little imperfection will be magnified a bazillion times.

I'm in, anxious to see how it goes.

• Members

so here's the first problem i have to tackle:

if the neck is sitting flush with the neck pickup route, the shelf of the neck is not flush with the top of the route. so should i cut it at the line?

019-1.jpg

or should i lift the neck so it is flush and have the neck mounted not butt up against the route?

020-1.jpg

i've always assumed when you set the neck the end is supposed to butt up against the pickup route but i may be wrong.

thanks in advance for help :wave:

• Members

so here's the first problem i have to tackle:

if the neck is sitting flush with the neck pickup route, the shelf of the neck is not flush with the top of the route. so should i cut it at the line?

or should i lift the neck so it is flush and have the neck mounted not butt up against the route?

i've always assumed when you set the neck the end is supposed to butt up against the pickup route but i may be wrong.

thanks in advance for help
:wave:

I think I'd decide where the bridge is going to go, then measure the distance between the saddles and the nut, sliding the neck in or out until you wind up with the standard SG scale length (24.75"). Then draw a new line on the neck butt and trim it there, if needed.

• Members

I think I'd decide where the bridge is going to go, then measure the distance between the saddles and the nut, sliding the neck in or out until you wind up with the standard SG scale length (24.75"). Then draw a new line on the neck butt and trim it there, if needed.

alright, thanks :thu:

the part where i drill the holes for the bridge scares me the most about this kit haha! i'm afraid i'll get the measurements off by a hair and it'll never intonate!

• Members

alright, thanks
:thu:
the part where i drill the holes for the bridge scares me the most about this kit haha! i'm afraid i'll get the measurements off by a hair and it'll never intonate!

You could always do the neck set and do the bridge, and string it up to check intonation before you finish the guit. A couple extra steps but better than having a cruddy guitar.

• Members

i hate having the jack on the top of the body like standard SGs have so i moved it to the side like a les paul. i still need to fill the pre-drilled hole with a dowel though.

pics:

024-1.jpg

026-1.jpg

i think i've figured out how to do the bridge.

this page helped me out BIG time. now i wait to build up enough courage to go through with it haha

http://www.buildmyelectricguitar.com/electric-guitar/my-first-electric-guitar-menu-section/installing-tuneomatic-bridge-category-menu/60-build-electric-guitar-install-tune-o-matic-bridge.html

:wave:

Archived