Absolutely FANTASTIC Documentary....

soundcreation

• Members

I love Fishbone! Their stuff is a great blend of styles. I do have one complaint.

I went to see FB at Red Rocks, Morrison, Colorado many years ago. They came out and shouted at us for the first 15 minutes. Their beef was that Red Rocks used to be sacred American Indian land until is taken away by the oppressive white people. OK that does suck but it happened so long ago and I certainly wasn't a party to it, nor could I do anything about it at that point. Also, it seemed pretty hypocritical of them to play a show there if they felt so strongly that the AI had been screwed over by the man. Perhaps, it was just meant as a history lesson for us but it was also a big buzz kill. Still, once they got into their music, it was a great show.

• Members

Sometimes learning uncomfortable truths can be a bit of a buzzkill, indeed. Usually worth it, though, IMHO.

I didn't have a problem with the message. It was the way the message was delivered that left a bad taste in my mouth. But, who knows if I'd have remembered the message so vividly had it been administered in a friendly way rather than an angry way. :idk:

• Members

Watched it a few weeks ago on Netflix instant.

Definitely a good doc. A totally underrated/underappreciated band.

:thu: :thu: :thu: I watched it this past weekend via Netflix streaming, then rented the DVD so I could see the bonus material.

• Members

Watched it last week. Fascinating and sad simultaneously. Killed by too much democracy. Kendall joining the cult and the attempted intervention all happened about 10 miles down the road from me here and at the time I was oblivious. Saddest thing was seeing Angelo having to move back in with mom and vacuum the house to earn his keep. Ultimately they might have been one of the best things to come out of forced busing/integration...also the Kendall reunion in Berkeley was a joyous thing to behold...

• Members

Seems to me Angelo is obstinate to the point of near insanity. If they didn't swear a lot, and played the 'hits', they could do well on the festival circuit. But Angelo can't do that.

But maybe he's a true artist, refusing to compromise. In any case, great doc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Seems to me Angelo is obstinate to the point of near insanity. If they didn't swear a lot, and played the 'hits', they could do well on the festival circuit. But Angelo can't do that.

But maybe he's a true artist, refusing to compromise. In any case, great doc.

Not to be insulting to him, but it seems that Angelo is mentally ill (and likely Kendall as well). It's not a huge deal, millions of folks have mental illness and a lesser group of millions live with it and are fully functional in society at all levels of life. I think it's great that he's still alive, it's what killed so many artists. It's definitely what ended up killing Jaco. It's also likely to be the cause of the death of the likes of Cobain, Joplin, etc. ...self medicating rarely works.

They still sound excellent. The notion of being killed by democracy is sad, but also off based on the documentary. It wasn't the democracy that killed them, it was the egos that started to think themselves better than the democracy. They were never going to be a band with one primary style/sound and the personalities were progressive enough that no one was going to stay in one place musically speaking. Unlike Living Colour who just couldn't maintain or regain and level of popularity based on their one HUGE hit, these guys fell apart due to bigger issues in the minds of several members. Musical democracy can and does work, but like the government it's super high maintenance and artistic egos moreso.

• Members

A bit of a delay, but I finally had a chance to watch the film, though I had rented it from iTunes a couple weeks ago, and I want to thank the OP (soundcreation) for having brought the film to our attention.

Great film.

+1

I watched it on Netflix. I never knew the full story of this band even though I listened to their music and went to their shows.

Archived