Cheap pedal board concept...

AlexMC

• Members

I need a pedal board and don't want to pay a stupid amount for a ready-made product. Whilst using my music stand just now (picture below), it seemed that the top part of the stand - i.e. where you stack the sheet music - would make an ideal base to mount the pedals upon:

- rigid steel construction

- when laid face-down on the floor, the 2" shelf at the bottom lifts the punched face of the stand off the floor at a nice angle (which could easily be increased for comfort)

- the punched holes would allow both solid mounting of pedals AND allow routing of patch and power leads out of sight and back through to the top where required

- if I remove the clamp arrangement from the mounting bar at the rear, the bar becomes a neat handle to grab and move the whole board.

A suitable power supply could mount under the handle or at the rear...

musicstand.jpg

Just checked eBay and someone is selling that exact model for

• Members

I made my two tier pedalboard from materials purchased at home depot. It cost me around 40 bucks. You really only need wood, carpet style covering (so pedals do not slip & can adhere velcro to), metal border surrounding, 4 rubber feet, and adhesive or heavy duty staples to adhere the covering to the wood.

• Members

That sounds like a really great idea! Post back what it looks like when you build it. I'd be interested in trying out the project myself. I've been using the same pedalboard for years now, but I have enough pedals to build a couple extra boards, and I've been thinking of economical ways to do it.

• Members

Looks like it would work pretty well. Not particularly big but good enough for a couple pedals.

IMO half the value of a pedalboard is in the bag/case, not the board itself. If you play outside the home and bring your pedals with you, it's not very practical to have something without a case, no matter what the board is.

• Members

Looks like it would work pretty well. Not particularly big but good enough for a couple pedals.

IMO half the value of a pedalboard is in the bag/case, not the board itself. If you play outside the home and bring your pedals with you, it's not very practical to have something without a case, no matter what the board is.

I already own a stand of this type so have checked it out... It fits three regular sized pedals and both my Boss Twin pedals with room to spare for a psu. Mount the psu underneath and fit another pedal...

I don't play out of the house so don't need flight case style protection, just something to fix them to and to hide the cables.

• Members

i bought a cool old medium sized suitcase from the local goodwill, lined it with foam, cut a piece of plywood to fit inside, painted and lined the plywood with double-grip vecro tape and attached rubber feet and a handle to it. cost me about $40 total and it's both functional and charming. yes, i said charming.

old pic, but you get the idea.

Pedalboard022009_1.jpg

• Members

I dig the music stand idea - I like reusing things that I no longer have a use for.

I've only got a few pedals, attached to a bit of pine shelf offcut my neighbour was throwing out. This travels with all my cables and the rest of my gear in a really cheap faux leather briefcase with 'gold' fittings I picked up from a flea market. The documents section is perfect for setlists, lyric sheets etc and there are various pockets for tools, strings etc.

Plus it makes me look like a rich lawyer. Shame I don't have a PRS to go with it... ;)

• Members

I need a pedal board and don't want to pay a stupid amount for a ready-made product. Whilst using my music stand just now (picture below), it seemed that the top part of the stand - i.e. where you stack the sheet music - would make an ideal base to mount the pedals upon:

• Members

i bought a cool old medium sized suitcase from the local goodwill, lined it with foam, cut a piece of plywood to fit inside, painted and lined the plywood with double-grip vecro tape and attached rubber feet and a handle to it. cost me about $40 total and it's both functional and charming. yes, i said charming.

old pic, but you get the idea.

Pedalboard022009_1.jpg

I'm just guessing here but I bet that is one awesome sounding rig.

Well done sir.

• Members

Well god damn OP.

Admittedly, I'm kind of a pedal snob and generally scoff to myself about people's ghetto boards... but {censored}. This one is pretty stinkin clever.

My worry would be that the stand will flex when you stomp it, and velcro would be annoying... though you could zip tie.

Either way, good thinking. Looks like you could mount a power supply underneath, I mean it's the same exact shape as the pedal trains.

IhCND.png?1309196181

• Members

- rigid steel construction

- when laid face-down on the floor, the 2" shelf at the bottom lifts the punched face of the stand off the floor at a nice angle (which could easily be increased for comfort)

- the punched holes would allow both solid mounting of pedals AND allow routing of patch and power leads out of sight and back through to the top where required

- if I remove the clamp arrangement from the mounting bar at the rear, the bar becomes a neat handle to grab and move the whole board.

A suitable power supply could mount under the handle or at the rear...

musicstand.jpg

• Members

I'm not sure how the office cable-shelf-thing is going to help.... wasn't the angle of the music stand the whole point?

The most important property of a board is its ability to protect your pedals - I don't see how fixing them to anything without a lid is going to do the trick.

• Members

I'm not sure how the office cable-shelf-thing is going to help.... wasn't the angle of the music stand the whole point?

The most important property of a board is its ability to protect your pedals
- I don't see how fixing them to anything without a lid is going to do the trick.

i have always thought the most important reason for a pedal board is to have them pre-arranged and connected and portable so it's easier to set up and breakdown for gigs and rehearsals. a pedalboard case would be for protection. some boards have removable lids, and others require a case (hard or softshell).

• Members

i have always thought the most important reason for a pedal board is to have them pre-arranged and connected and portable so it's easier to set up and breakdown for gigs and rehearsals. a pedalboard case would be for protection. some boards have removable lids, and others require a case (hard or softshell).

:thu:

My 'Train is almost perpetually out of its case, but I shudder to think of rearranging my rig for every service.

Archived