Help with shotgun mic on "Tiny Desk"

jack harper

• Members

I'm wanting to boost my solo acoustic recording setup. I love the sound from tiny desk, are they really doing everything on one mic? Anyone know the mic being used? its got great balance between vocal and guitar. Would any average shotgun mic get this sound?

I currently use an sm 57, it is not great for live recording guitar and vocals.

I'm really interested in a one mic setup.

Example 1

[video=youtube;r-B_fkZfWjk]

Example 2

[video=youtube;onxGMaIDxi0]

thanks buddies

• Members

Any decent mic will do that pretty well. You don't need a shotgun mic or a stereo mic, though. Try a condenser. Get something with an omni or cardiod pattern, and then the trick is to aim the mic and sit such that you get the right vocal & guitar mix. If you place the mic too close your mouth, you might not get enough guitar, and if you place it too close to the guitar, you might not get enough vocal. With acoustic guitars, though, I think most of them are loud enough that just aiming at your mouth (or throat) is usually best. I think small condensers like Audio Technica Pro 37 work best, but bigger mics like MXL 2003a can work well, too.

p.s. Condensers are a type of mic that have a lot of sensitivity and require phantom power. Dynamic mics are basically speakers in reverse. They're normally not as sensitive and fast as condensers.

Archived