Okay, I tried to quickly replicate the Golden Cello tone using bits of duck tape

Frets99

and paper clips.

Well, not exactly.... :o

[video=youtube;8nPEKOcE3aw]

Mod Tone Speed Box: $50

Tone 10:30

Gain and Level 11:30

First Act Analog Delay: $40

9:00 level

2:00 time

10:00 delay

I love the Golden Cello tone. I think the basis for it which is a sweet overdrive is worth the money, especially with the added ambiance of the calibrated delay. But, obviously, similar tones can be gotten using a couple of pedals. The dedicated delay pedal would give you more options on the fly, especially with tap tempo. But I still really like the simplicity and sweet tone of the Golden Cello.

• Members
There is something in the decay tone of the gc that I think the other pedels miss. It's sort of a swell, with a sweetening of the tone as it fades and compresses. Just sounds fantastic, I want one.

It's a slight modulation of the repeat. Look for a delay with a modulation setting. One half of my delay has this feature, but it's hardly price competitive with the GC (VS Dual Tap DLY).

There is something in the decay tone of the gc that I think the other pedels miss. It's sort of a swell, with a sweetening of the tone as it fades and compresses. Just sounds fantastic, I want one.

That swell really makes it IMO. That's what I caught as I hit a not and listened to it decay. It grows, then decays. Very sweet!

My wife is mad at me though. For the price of that pedal, I could have sent one of our kids to college.... :o

• Members

A Carbon Copy will do the modulation - even has a button on the front to turn it on and off and a pot inside to alter the amount (that versatility thing again). IIRC when the CC came out it was nearly that price alone, though with the exchange rate at the time I got mine at a very favourable price.

Archived