I'll Just Leave This Right Here

Elias Graves

• Members

Wow, I like the look of that.
:love:
How does it compare in size, feel and tone to a Dot? It's semi-hollow, right, not a full hollow body?

Picture the back of an oversized les Paul. Now, hollow it out except for one chunk under the bridge.

Then, put and undersized Dot top on it.

With two dogears

And sparkle binding

20ed3cc7.jpg

• Members

I got one of those and then I bought a thingy to make it work better. One of these days, I may even install it :thu:

I just ordered me another Stathopoulos myself tonight, but I'm not tellin what type, nope, no I'm not. Not until I get a confirmation, which won't probably be 'til Monday; and then I'm going to splash it all over HCEG and roll in all the "cheap Chinese crap" posts it generates, yep I am. And I'm going to enjoy it all. ;)

Oh, but back to your topic, congrats!

I've got a Sunrise Orangutan colored one that I have a love/hate relationship with. They are an interesting beast. Even the almighty himself, Dan Erlewine, has sung the praises of the Epi WK once it was modded to his tastes.

I think they sound best with at least a modicum of gain.

Report back!

• Members

I got one of those and then I bought a thingy to make it work better. One of these days, I may even install it
:thu:

I just ordered me another Stathopoulos myself tonight, but I'm not tellin what type, nope, no I'm not. Not until I get a confirmation, which won't probably be 'til Monday; and then I'm going to splash it all over HCEG and roll in all the
"cheap Chinese crap"
posts it generates, yep I am. And I'm going to enjoy it all.
;)

Oh, but back to your topic, congrats!

I've got a Sunrise Orangutan colored one that I have a love/hate relationship with. They are an interesting beast. Even the almighty himself, Dan Erlewine, has sung the praises of the Epi WK once it was modded to his tastes.

I think they sound best with at least a modicum of gain.

Report back!

Congrats? I didn't buy it.

Just gas.

So very tempted.....

• Members
Congrats? I didn't buy it.

Just gas.

So very tempted.....

Oh, I thought you were just being a bit bashful in regards to a profligate transaction.

I think they are a lot of guitar for the money. Mine also happened to be tree-fiddy new so I couldn't resist. The Bigsby throws mine out of tune more so than any of my other Bigsby equipped guitar, but "the thingy" I got, which should help is a Supercharger from Graphtec. It's a new graphite saddled Tune-o-matic bridge plus graphite nut kit I bought a while back. I'm sure it would work if I just installed it. But I'm sure the acquistion entertained me for awhile.

I think I just hesitated wondering if I want to go for it all at once or just try the bridge first.

And Jason Lollar has some help available if you want more chime out of the guitar. Right now, I like to say that I find it does best with the "Cat Scratch Fever" type of tone. There's not much Rockabilly to their voice. But I think if one were to Jason Lollar-ize it without chrome p'up covers, it could become quite a different animal. (Jason also has a mod that retains the covers but then retains a bit more of the darker tone).

But I've seen one guy rock one of these real hard in a club, and of course our own Brian Krashpad gets plenty of productive mileage out of his.

This one is mine

WildKat002.jpg
I fell for its baby Gretsch persona.

But I remember when this model was also on blow-out. I was soooo dang tempted to get a second one just because I loved this outrageous color scheme so much. It was like - all that bling for so little scratch.

EpiphoneWildcatLimited.jpg

• Members

Picture the back of an oversized les Paul. Now, hollow it out except for one chunk under the bridge.

Then, put and undersized Dot top on it.

With two dogears

And sparkle binding

20ed3cc7.jpg

Interesting, I assumed it was built like an archtop, not routed from a block of wood... but then again, it's more hollow than the dot. I'm trying to limit myself to four electric guitars, so the dot might have to go to make room for this...but I dig the P90s and could use a Bigsby... I hope I can find one to play locally.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I have to resurrect this, because I am still tempted by that wildkat. The main things holding me back are the sparkle binding (i think it's a bit tacky...wish they had gone with simple cream) and the bigsby. Has anyone seen this type of binding in person? I generally dislike trems and don't think they are worth the hassle, although I did like a bigsby on a Gretsch I tried a while back. How difficult would it be to replace the bigsby with a trapeze tailpiece? How noticeable would the screw holes be, and would it be reversible? If I decide to leave the bigsby off permanently, how could I go about filling and "hiding" the screw holes?

Archived