Where can I buy these? (Rail pickup covers)

Lex.Luthier

• Members

So I was going through my spares looking for a pickup for a Strat build I'm working on. I find a pickup in a bag marked Noiseless Single Coil which seems perfect, so I take off it's aged white cover to put on a regular white cover when this happens:

pickup1n.jpg

pickup2.jpg

It's a rail pickup and the pole pieces in the cover are actually fake! As someone who loves traditional Strat looks and modern hard rock/metal tones I find this idea great. I have a few Dimarzio rail pickups which I haven't used as I hate how they look so if I could find a few of these covers that would be amazing. Anyone have any idea where I can get these?

• Members

that is a GFS Neovin pickup, I have a set of them in a partscaster.

Thanks man, Ill get in touch with GFS, see if I can get some more of these covers!

Edit:

Just tried it with a Dimarzio Chopper, the brass plate fits perfectly between the two rails:

dima1.jpg

And with a cover:

dima2.jpg

• Members

I was a bit concerned that there might be sound issues having a metal plate up against the rails so I put it in a guitar to try it out:

dimiv.jpg

The bridge pickup in this guitar is a Dimarzio Fast Track 2. It still sounds like a Fast Track 2 and it is still super quiet. It just looks like a single coil now :) It's a shame no one seems to make these faux pole piece plates, I know I'd buy quite a few of them if I could.

• Members

What's wrong with them? Weak? Muffled? Too shrill? I suppose it depends on the guitar. If they are weak well there are boosters for that. If they're too muffled they might work well on a bright sounding guitar - it might not be a good deal for you if the guitar is already naturally dark sounding. If they're too shrill maybe they'd work well on a dark sounding guitar. Are they noisy? What's the problem?

• Members

They're advertised as noiseless singles. That means that they need to have clarity, top end, and be pretty dynamic. I've tried several noiseless singles: Lace, Fender, DiMarzio, Kinman, GFS. GFS is the only one that truly lacks a strong point. Everything else has one thing they're really good at. Lace has a really hi-fi sound that is very consistent. Fender has very good top-end. Kinman is awesome. DiMarzio is like Kinman on a budget. GFS makes your guitar sound like it doesn't know what it should sound like.

• Members

Hmmm, brass is easy to work. Making the strip would be easy. What could you use for the slugs? See what I'm thinkin'? Need some type of metal of the correct diameter that looks like nickel and is as easy to work as brass. Cutting 6 thin pieces would be a bit tricky, but doable. Super glue to stickem in place

• Members

They're advertised as noiseless singles. That means that they need to have clarity, top end, and be pretty dynamic. I've tried several noiseless singles: Lace, Fender, DiMarzio, Kinman, GFS. GFS is the only one that truly lacks a strong point. Everything else has one thing they're really good at. Lace has a really hi-fi sound that is very consistent. Fender has very good top-end. Kinman is awesome. DiMarzio is like Kinman on a budget. GFS makes your guitar sound like it doesn't know what it should sound like.

Yep, those guys got a quick return trip to MA. Ugh. I haven't ginned up the courage to try their new flavor.... It's supposed to be more like the dimarzio design.

• Members

I totally agree on this, and now that I know that the GFS covers work on dimarzio type pickups, I'm looking for a couple Pro Track to replace the GFS guts.

• Members

I totally agree on this, and now that I know that the GFS covers work on dimarzio type pickups, I'm looking for a couple Pro Track to replace the GFS guts.

The pole piece plate fits perfectly between the rails but the neovin plastic covers are slightly too narrow for a Dimarzio. I used a standard generic single coil case instead and it fit perfectly bar being around around 2mm short at bottom because of the extra height of the rails. You cant see that though when it's in a scratch-plate :)

Archived