Good neck pickup to go with a Super Distortion?

skibob

• Members

I'm thinking about doing some pickup swapping and the options I'm considering for the bridge are the Dimarzio Super Distortion or Tone Zone. The Dimarzio website doesn't have any suggestions for a neck pickup to go with the Super Distortion...

Anybody have any suggestions for a neck pup? I'm looking for something nice and fat, but not muddy in an alder H-H Tele.

Go.

• Members

With dimarzio for what you are considering I'd go
Tone Zone/Paf Pro
. Everything mentioned is good though, just we all can get particular. I mentioned Tone Zone as I feel works best with a tonewood like alder.

I'm 50/50 on the Tone Zone/Super D.

I have an alder guitar with a TZ and I like it. I also have a guitar with a Super D that I like, although it's not alder. I guess I'm leaning a little toward the Super D just to see how it will sound in the alder guitar.

• Members

I have a mod like that pending. I'm actually considering (since I already bought it) the Super D in the bridge and a TZ in the neck :o

It really can work. I'm just having second thoughts since my application was to be on a trem bridge PRS SE (mahogany/maple cap). Usually I've seen the TZ neck suggested more on the basswood shredder guitars. I figure I'll just keep it low and raise the treble side poles a bit as needed. But I thought of that idea as a guitar that would indeed be phat from the neck and sound good into my DSL 100 / 4x12. Paul Gilbert (from what I understand) popularized that bold application.

Archived