ever jammed with a famous guitarist?

LynchProtoge

• Members

I was at a guitar show down in Clearwater, FL, in the mid 90's, and was checking out some fender guitars. This fellow walks over to me and complimented the guitar and asked if I liked it. I told him it was "ok" but that it wasnt really my style and that I was more into rock & metal. He kinda smiled and laughed and asked me to let him play it for a moment. So, after handing him the guitar he proceeded to literally shred like nobody I had ever met in my life..he was really phenomenal! We traded a few licks and he said I had good phrasing and that my playing was really clean. I complimented him on his prowess on that particular guitar- he said its all in your hands, NOT the guitar - and said I guess I needed to practice more and worry less about the guitar I'm using. About an hour later I saw him take the stage and play after someone introduced him as Albert Lee.

Walked away knowing two things - Albert Lee is a swell guy, and country guys can rock as good as the rock guys! (this would later be reaffirmed by seeing Johnny Highland play at a bar in Nashville)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Cool.

And yes. But I was on bass, and we just played the set, so it wasn't like there was anything improvisational going on. Other than me hoping my guesses were right, given that there was no rehearsal and no lead sheets.

379463_10150410984018879_763948352_n.jpg

Sorry, I dont recognize the fellow, who was it you played with?

• Members

Not super-famous, but I've jammed with Tyondai Braxton (Battles) a couple of times. A mutual friend of ours put a band together to play a few shows. Me on drums, our mutual friend on turntables, Ty on guitar, and another friend on bass. It was all improvisational. We called ourselves "Kung Fu Grip".

• Members

Sorry, I dont recognize the fellow, who was it you played with?

The guy with the square guitar is Bo Diddley.

I've done a fair bit of studio and touring work with some "names", but my proudest was playing with Alexis Korner when I was 19. I was obsessed by blues at the time and guy's history was not wasted on me.

The most fun by far was Bob Brozman.

• Members

Not super-famous, but I've jammed with Tyondai Braxton (Battles) a couple of times. A mutual friend of ours put a band together to play a few shows. Me on drums, our mutual friend on turntables, Ty on guitar, and another friend on bass. It was all improvisational. We called ourselves "Kung Fu Grip".

I studied jazz improvisation with his father, so I kind of jammed with his dad.

I jammed with Robert Randolph once though. 4 minutes of playing with him actually made me a much better musician.

• Members

I studied jazz improvisation with his father, so I kind of jammed with his dad.

I jammed with Robert Randolph once though. 4 minutes of playing with him actually made me a much better musician.

I like RR's style. His music is really good, I bet he was a great guy to meet huh?

• Members

I like RR's style. His music is really good, I bet he was a great guy to meet huh?

Yeah, he was. It was amazing to play with someone who's every note was musical. A lot of us have to build up to our best ideas. He has nothing but good ideas.

• Members

In early 2000s I played in a house band with Wayne 'Tex' Gabriel for a little while ( 3 or 4 months). Very nice guy and a really good player. He died about a year or so ago. He played a Strat at the time. Anyone who played with John Lennon and Chuck Berry is ok in my book. I remember at the time being told that he was the only other person, other than Chuck Berry of course, to solo on a Chuck Berry record. I never asked him about that though...

• Members

I was at a guitar show down in Clearwater, FL, in the mid 90's, and was checking out some fender guitars. This fellow walks over to me and complimented the guitar and asked if I liked it. I told him it was "ok" but that it wasnt really my style and that I was more into rock & metal. He kinda smiled and laughed and asked me to let him play it for a moment. So, after handing him the guitar he proceeded to literally shred like nobody I had ever met in my life..he was really phenomenal! We traded a few licks and he said I had good phrasing and that my playing was really clean. I complimented him on his prowess on that particular guitar- he said its all in your hands, NOT the guitar - and said I guess I needed to practice more and worry less about the guitar I'm using. About an hour later I saw him take the stage and play after someone introduced him as Albert Lee.

Walked away knowing two things - Albert Lee is a swell guy, and country guys can rock as good as the rock guys! (this would later be reaffirmed by seeing Johnny Highland play at a bar in Nashville)

I also jammed with Albert Lee once. Phenomenal doesn't even begin to describe how good that guy is. I knew who he was though, a good friend of mine knows him fairly well and so here we are jamming at a house party. And yes, we were ripping and yes, he could have mopped the floor with me but he didn't. Great guy!

I also jammed with Norman Brown once in the 80's but I didn't realize who it was until just a few months ago. I've seen pics of Norman and always thought he looked awfully familiar. The jam was just 3 guitar players in a little apt near GIT in Los Angeles where those two were attending. I remember all three of us ripping it up pretty good. Talked to my friend recently and had to ask, "Who was that we jamming with that time?" and yeah, it was Norman Brown.

There's been quite a few guys that have had great careers as sidemen for some very well known artists. David Margen is very well known bass player that was with Santana for many years. If you grew up around the east bay chances you jammed with David as well. Miko Weaver played with Prince and the new Revolution and for clarification, he was in the Prince movie nobody saw and not the one everybody saw.

Andy Tanas is a pretty successful musician and artist that played with Black Oak Ark (with Shawn Lane) and Krokus. He and I were in a band together back in the day and I still consider him a good friend. We've got some stories...

And oh yeah, how could I forget! D'oh!

Jammed with Spencer Davis on the 2nd Mark & Brian Christmas show back in the day. This was before Lukather took the gig and brought in all of his crew. We played Gimme Some Lovin. He changed keys a whole step on us right there on the bandstand. Most of us were good with it but I think we were on the second verse before one of the guys figured it out. And yes this was on live radio in the 2nd largest market in the country. Good times...

And one more, for those of you that know him, I got to Jam with Scott Jones once. Just the two of us in my basement with a drum machine and bunch of guitars. He's another one that could've mopped the floor with me and truth be told, he played circles around me without really trying to show me up or anything. He's really just that good. The best of that jam was me playing bass just so I could here him rip it up!

• Members

I also jammed with Albert Lee once. Phenomenal doesn't even begin to describe how good that guy is. I knew who he was though, a good friend of mine knows him fairly well and so here we are jamming at a house party. And yes, we were ripping and yes,
he could have mopped the floor with me but he didn't. Great guy!

I also jammed with Norman Brown once in the 80's but I didn't realize who it was until just a few months ago. I've seen pics of Norman and always thought he looked awfully familiar. The jam was just 3 guitar players in a little apt near GIT in Los Angeles where those two were attending. I remember all three of us ripping it up pretty good. Talked to my friend recently and had to ask, "Who was that we jamming with that time?" and yeah, it was Norman Brown.

There's been quite a few guys that have had great careers as sidemen for some very well known artists. David Margen is very well known bass player that was with Santana for many years. If you grew up around the east bay chances you jammed with David as well. Miko Weaver played with Prince and the new Revolution and for clarification, he was in the Prince movie nobody saw and not the one everybody saw.

Andy Tanas is a pretty successful musician and artist that played with Black Oak Ark (with Shawn Lane) and Krokus. He and I were in a band together back in the day and I still consider him a good friend. We've got some stories...

And this is the mark of a good person and their heart...and separates them from the "rockstars"

Archived