Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ever jammed with a famous guitarist?

I was at a guitar show down in Clearwater, FL, in the mid 90's, and was checking out some fender guitars. This fellow walks over to me and complimented the guitar and asked if I liked it. I told him it was "ok" but that it wasnt really my style and that I was more into rock & metal. He kinda smiled and laughed and asked me to let him play it for a moment. So, after handing him the guitar he proceeded to literally shred like nobody I had ever met in my life..he was really phenomenal! We traded a few licks and he said I had good phrasing and that my playing was really clean. I complimented him on his prowess on that particular guitar- he said its all in your hands, NOT the guitar - and said I guess I needed to practice more and worry less about the guitar I'm using. About an hour later I saw him take the stage and play after someone introduced him as Albert Lee.

Walked away knowing two things - Albert Lee is a swell guy, and country guys can rock as good as the rock guys! (this would later be reaffirmed by seeing Johnny Highland play at a bar in Nashville)

You sir, have met one of the finest session guitarists to have ever lived!

Comment

Cool.

And yes. But I was on bass, and we just played the set, so it wasn't like there was anything improvisational going on. Other than me hoping my guesses were right, given that there was no rehearsal and no lead sheets.

Visit Crash Pad at:
      http://CrashPadBand.com
      CONSUME!:
      http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/crashpad
      Gear List/Pics:
      https://sites.google.com/site/briankrashpad/

Comment

You sir, have met one of the finest session guitarists to have ever lived!

Id say one of the finest guitarists - in general - would be more accurate

Comment

Cool.

And yes. But I was on bass, and we just played the set, so it wasn't like there was anything improvisational going on. Other than me hoping my guesses were right, given that there was no rehearsal and no lead sheets.

Sorry, I dont recognize the fellow, who was it you played with?

Comment

Not super-famous, but I've jammed with Tyondai Braxton (Battles) a couple of times. A mutual friend of ours put a band together to play a few shows. Me on drums, our mutual friend on turntables, Ty on guitar, and another friend on bass. It was all improvisational. We called ourselves "Kung Fu Grip".

Comment

The guy with the square guitar is Bo Diddley.

I've done a fair bit of studio and touring work with some "names", but my proudest was playing with Alexis Korner when I was 19. I was obsessed by blues at the time and guy's history was not wasted on me.
              The most fun by far was Bob Brozman.

Comment

The black bloke seated at the right of the photo with the rectangular guitar is one Ellas Otha Bates (December 30, 1928
                Visit Crash Pad at:
                http://CrashPadBand.com
                CONSUME!:
                http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/crashpad
                Gear List/Pics:
                https://sites.google.com/site/briankrashpad/

Comment

No, but I jammed with a guy who had the privilege of jamming with a lot of the greats of the 60s. Does that count?
                  Guitars: 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)Pedal Chain: BBE Green Screamer -> MXR Distortion III -> Boss CE-5 -> EH Stereo Pulsar -> Boss DD-20 -> BBE Boosta GrandeAmps: Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5SoundCloud

Comment

The black bloke seated at the right of the photo with the rectangular guitar is one Ellas Otha Bates (December 30, 1928

Comment

I once played on stage with the Nelson twins. Does that count?
                      Michael D. www.mdlmusic.webs.com "I'm tired of rock-and-rolling Let's get married, Honey, let's go bowling" --Martin Mull

Comment

I once played on stage with the Nelson twins. Does that count?

There are some things you just dont talk about or admit in public..or to anyone in general...

Comment

Not super-famous, but I've jammed with Tyondai Braxton (Battles) a couple of times. A mutual friend of ours put a band together to play a few shows. Me on drums, our mutual friend on turntables, Ty on guitar, and another friend on bass. It was all improvisational. We called ourselves "Kung Fu Grip".

I studied jazz improvisation with his father, so I kind of jammed with his dad.

I jammed with Robert Randolph once though. 4 minutes of playing with him actually made me a much better musician.
                          Mesa/Boogie Mob

My Gear
                          Fender American Deluxe V Neck (w/ sustainiac stealth plus)
                          Warmoth Tele (Bridge: Dimarzio Breed, Neck: GFS Hot Nashville)
                          ESP-LTD MH-301
                          Mesa/Boogie Lonestar Special 112
                          Boss GT-8
                          Vox V848 Clyde McCoy Wah
                          EHX Micro POG
                          Afri-Can Guitar
                          Xotic Effects BB Preamp MB
                          Xaviere XV-700 Redflake Fretless
                          Crate V18-112
                          Outlaw Supply Ole Fuzzy

Good deals with:
                          Mfergel
                          NOS68
                          jdh4him (on the Boogie Boards)

Comment

I studied jazz improvisation with his father, so I kind of jammed with his dad.

I jammed with Robert Randolph once though. 4 minutes of playing with him actually made me a much better musician.

I like RR's style. His music is really good, I bet he was a great guy to meet huh?

Comment

I like RR's style. His music is really good, I bet he was a great guy to meet huh?

Yeah, he was. It was amazing to play with someone who's every note was musical. A lot of us have to build up to our best ideas. He has nothing but good ideas.
                              Mesa/Boogie Mob

My Gear
                              Fender American Deluxe V Neck (w/ sustainiac stealth plus)
                              Warmoth Tele (Bridge: Dimarzio Breed, Neck: GFS Hot Nashville)
                              ESP-LTD MH-301
                              Mesa/Boogie Lonestar Special 112
                              Boss GT-8
                              Vox V848 Clyde McCoy Wah
                              EHX Micro POG
                              Afri-Can Guitar
                              Xotic Effects BB Preamp MB
                              Xaviere XV-700 Redflake Fretless
                              Crate V18-112
                              Outlaw Supply Ole Fuzzy

Good deals with:
                              Mfergel