Tuner Upgrade for Cheap Epi SG?

Nsomniac

• Members

So, I got one of those $89 SG Juniors at Guitar Center...was kind of taken with it when I played it. Never had a humbucker guitar before, and while it's not going to replace my strat or my tele, it's just a fun change of pace.

So while I'm content with most of it for the price, I don't think I can live with those tuners. What should I put in it that would function satisfactorily without a huge price tag?

• Members

A great luthier and tech I know gave me some advice once, he said that most "modern" tuners were just fine. As long as they don't slip, they are fine, and that includes most modern production tuners. He said that the NUT was where most tuning issues arise. That said, if you want something that has the look and feel of quality, but don't want to pay the price of the guitar over again...the wilkenson's mentioned above are the ticket IMO.

• Members

A great luthier and tech I know gave me some advice once, he said that most "modern" tuners were just fine. As long as they don't slip, they are fine, and that includes most modern production tuners. He said that the NUT was where most tuning issues arise. That said, if you want something that has the look and feel of quality, but don't want to pay the price of the guitar over again...the wilkenson's mentioned above are the ticket IMO.

completely agree with this as well. I have 2 of the Epi SG Jr's, and those cheap Epi tuners are very stiff, mine stick all the time.

I've always left my tuners alone and just made sure that I have a bone or tusq nut, as long as the tuners don't stick.

• Members

• Members

A set of Ping's would be my choice. They can usually be had for about $20

and they hold tune very well.

And in some cases less than $10:

and these have that angled screw

and I just stumbled upon this thread:

The Pings work pretty well. Heck, Taylor uses them for OEM on their $$$ acoustics...

• Members
... most "modern" tuners were just fine. As long as they don't slip, they are fine, and that includes most modern production tuners. He said that the NUT was where most tuning issues arise...

Agreed...the nut, and just have to add proper string winding to the fray .... improperly wound strings make many think their tuners are at fault...

• Members

As long as the tuners aren't loose, rattling or wonky they are probably fine. They might not last as long as Grovers, Schallers or Sperzel but for a few years I'm sure they'll do the job. Also, expensive tuners tend to be smoother and have a more precise gear ratio, but that's more icing on the cake in my book.

As other have said, tuning stability has more to do with a quality setup (including a properly adjusted nut with polished grooves) and how you attach the strings to the tuners. If the nut is made from a cheap plastic it probably won't polish, changing it to Graphtech TUSQ or Corian might help.

• Members

SGs can have a tendency to be neck-heavy - depending on what yours feels like you might not want to use heavy tuners like Grovers as this can make the strap slippage/neck dive problem a bit worse.

But I agree - the ones on there already are probably fine. Lube up the nut first.

• Members

Are you:

1) wrapping your strings around the post properly during changes?

2) sure your nut isn't binding?

It's kinda unheard of for worm-gear tuners to 'slip'. More often it's bad restringing practices and/or a poorly cut nut which are responsible for poor tuning stability.

I'm certainly not the world's most accomplished or experienced stringer, but I've imagined I do a pretty fair, careful job of it. Maybe I need to raise my game a little. And there is that plastic nut.

Part of my trepidation about the tuners is just feel...I don't actually see it slip, it just FEELS loose...like I'm tuning my kids' SpongeBob ukulele. (And of course the big issue that started this, it doesn't stay in tune very well). Could be it's just a different feel than I'm used to, who knows. So maybe I'll change the nut first and see what difference that makes before I do the tuners.

• Members

Cheap guitars, expensive guitars., for me the answer is always the same. If I'm replacing the tuners it's going to be Hipshot GLO locking tuners every time. Sure there are cheaper options that will do just fine but when the difference between good enough and top shelf parts is only $20-30 why compromise.

• Members

Unless you are having problems with the tuners, then chances are they are fine. A new guitar will probably not have a lubricated nut. You can remedy this by removing the string from the slot, color the slot with a pencil, place the string back in the slot and check for binding. I can't say that I invented the pencil lubrication trick. I saw it done on a Taylor guitar and since then I have been doing it to all of mine.

Archived