Have U ever scratched a Guitar at Guitar Center and walked away?

kulardenu

• Members

No. It's actually been the other way around for me at Gee Cee, at least twice. :mad:

It's been a while, but, I've been ripped and/or stabbed by overly long needle-sharp string ends, and as bad as I've ever been ripped by string ends at any time, there in the store when handling guitars by the headstock. In both cases, the reason that I wasn't expecting the "surprise" string end was that all the other (larger) strings on the guitar were neatly and properly trimmed except for a single offending high-B or high-E that protruded out just perfectly at some odd angle so as to not be particularly obvious -- until it stabbed / ripped me. A quick glance at the headstock beforehand showed it to have nicely trimmed strings and safe to grab. WRONG!

In both cases these were used guitars. In both cases, I complained to a store clerk. Only in one case did a store clerk trim the excess string protruding out.

• Members

Haha, not really. I'm pretty short, so I often have to ask for help to put guitars back on the wall or even get them down. At some shops, the second tier is too high for me to grab a guitar without endangering it. Also, I'm really careful when I have them on the floor. The only time I don't feel nervous is if I have my own guitar there to try amps.

• Members

I have never damaged a guitar in a store. I did point out 'wear' to the builder of a very expensive acoustic guitar that was for sale in a store one time. This store was 'uppity' under the guise of 'laid back and relaxed' where people were encouraged to play the guitars. After I showed the wear to the builder of the guitar, she spoke with the guy running the store (while I was right there 4 feet from them) who then took opportunity to twice accuse me of damaging guitars in his store.

I suppose this accusation was all based upon the fact that he had seen my guitar which was 25 years old at the time (and 10 years old when I got it showing significant wear) and the fact that he was now looking for a scapegoat or at least someone to put part of the blame on since the builder mentioned it to him. I really thought "dude...I was the one who pointed that out and I have never touched that guitar with a pick in my hand". Anyway, on the evening of the second accusation I said "listen - I have never marked up a guitar that I didn't buy". I proceeded to buy 2 guitars (one, a high end guitar that he dealt in) from another source within 2 years of that.

That guy was an idiot.

• Members

No, but I worked in retail and saw many episodes. The most epic one was a guy trying a Tele, then putting it back on the hook. The guitars were close together at a 45 degree angle to the wall, and I'm sure that we all know that a Tele headstock is not made for hooks. As the client walked away the guitar twisted and fell, taking out the next one, and the next one, and the next.....

All told 9 Teles hit the floor. He just kept walking.

• Members

No, but I worked in retail and saw many episodes. The most epic one was a guy trying a Tele, then putting it back on the hook. The guitars were close together at a 45 degree angle to the wall, and I'm sure that we all know that a Tele headstock is not made for hooks. As the client walked away the guitar twisted and fell, taking out the next one, and the next one, and the next.....

:eek:

• Members

Have U ever scratched a Guitar at Guitar Center and walked away?

If you have, I thank you from the bottom of my wallet. I tend to buy "NOS" and "Scratch 'n' Dent" items at a significant savings. That way, I save money and also save psychic energy, as I never have to worry about putting that first dent/scratch, etc. in a beautiful, new guitar!

• Members

No one stopped him?

• Members

No, but several years ago I bought a brand new Charvel acoustic from GC; they threw in a new set of strings because the stock strings pretty much sucked. When they offered to install them, I said "sure - I'll go get a cup of coffee next door and I'll be right back". I came back to the store, they gave me the guitar in the hardshell case, and I left. When I got home and opened the case, I saw that the jerkoff that replaced the strings put a deep 3" x 3/8" dent in the beautiful spruce top of the guitar, right behind the bridge. I called the manager and told him what happened; he said that I should have inspected the guitar before I left and that it was ME that {censored}ed up my new acoustic, which I didn't. I told him I wanted my money back, and he said no, tough {censored}, it was MY problem. That was the last time I bought anythnig from a Guitar Center. {censored} Guitar Center. :(

• Members

So I'm the only one who feels guilty enough to confess if I damage something? I once was plugged into an amp that started smoking at low volume with the provided patch cable, I got the guitar center guy to look at it and I felt like crap.

I'm sure they understand that if wasn't your fault. No need in feeling bad about it. Floor models just have {censored} happen to them.

Archived