Kijiji/CL police!

billythegoat

• Members

Well the guy signed up in 2007 and has made no more than 214 snarky comments.
:lol:
That breaks down to like 1 snarky comment per week.

Good thing he has a music career...

Are there cops that actually put the hammer down in these scams? I have never heard of anyone being prosecuted for trying to scam musical instruments on CL or eBay...

• Members

Good thing he has a music career...

Are there cops that actually put the hammer down in these scams? I have never heard of anyone being prosecuted for trying to scam musical instruments on CL or eBay...

Consider the amount of classified ads for musical gear on CL. Then consider the amount of ads for stuff other than music gear on CL. Then consider all of the other sources for classifieds other than CL. There are not enough police in the world. I suppose if somebody was importing fake Gibsons and selling the on CL with regularity, you'd probably have a vice unit investigate it. I'm sure they monitor stuff on some level but for them to scour ads like people do here and find fakes, I just don't think that is a wise use of their resources. Most police officers aren't as knowledgable about instruments like most of the people here. If an officer hunted down a guy selling a fake Gibson on CL and then tried to prosecute them, what exactly would they have accomplished? Anyone that has ever been a victim of petty theft knows that they cops will not even bother opening an investigation for such a small amount of money.

• Members

I would guess no. But I assume they have some sort of department (or person) to review the reported ads. I am not looking for prosecution of any sort or believe there should be any. I just want some honesty.

The one seller I decided to contact through email and politely told them how their guitar isn't a genuine American Standard Stratocaster. It was a In their multiple replies to my one email they where either flat out lying to me or feeding me misleading information. I have now reported their ad, multiple times and it is still up.

• Members
  • Members

I was talking to the original owner of the guitar and he said the seller/buyer had some story about being a poor student. He had been trying to sell it for over a month so he gave him a great deal and even delivered it to him from Toronto. He went on to tell me that it is a HWY 1 that he had refinished and still a great guitar all around but not worth anywhere near $900. The "poor student" added a USA Standard neck plate to try and fool someone. When I pointed out the microtilt hole in it he flat out lied to me and told me it had it :facepalm: All of his ads have now been removed!!

Archived