NGD Gibson Melody Maker SG

MoreGuitars

• Members

Very nice and well balanced guitars, and pleasant to play because of the thin, light body.

I put a 'Badass' style adjustable bridge on mine, as I did on my LP Melody Maker, because I wanted the intonation adjustment options.

That style of bridge is about 6mm higher than the stock, plain, wrap-around bridge/tailpiece, so a bit of work was needed. In addition, it sits so low that I have to raise it up in order to put on the strings.

SGMMAngle.jpg

Carbon fiber is a nice touch for the plain, black pickguard. Other doo-dads are custom castings [not by me]. So, a cool little guitar that is fun to play.

SGMMBody.jpg

SGMMHeadstock.jpg

• Members

Didn't notice any tone change, but at least the G string is properly intonated now. Sometimes the wrap-arounds are OK, and other times they just don't get close enough.

You will have to raise the bridge up to install the strings, and then lower it again for the action adjustment and intonation. A bit of a hassle.

The Wilkinson model might be better for this application, but I haven't tried one of those yet.

• Members

Didn't notice any tone change, but at least the G string is properly intonated now. Sometimes the wrap-arounds are OK, and other times they just don't get close enough.

You will have to raise the bridge up to install the strings, and then lower it again for the action adjustment and intonation. A bit of a hassle.

The Wilkinson model might be better for this application, but I haven't tried one of those yet.

• Members

I finally got to play one of the Ltd Ed MMs at a store a couple weeks back. They were asking too much for that model in the beginning and they were often being ribbed :poke: around here, but I thought if there was ever a blow out on them, I'd want to be there for it.

But when they did go on sale, I was in my GAS 12-step program and passed. But when I got to play one about 2.5 weeks ago, I was pleased. I thought Gibson did indeed do a good job of matching a new pickup (491) to that fairly nontraditional selection of tone-wood for a Gibby (maple). I particularly liked how vibey it sounded. Very lively tone.

But I had the white SG MM in my mind for a couple weeks after seeing it there. Seems like there's nothing much other than ebony left on the websites unless you want to go to the ebay scalpers. And even at that store I visited, they had the black ones at $299, but the other colors were only marked down to $399. 4 bills was enough to halt my impulse buy urges that day, but just barely.

:thu:

Archived