Worst gear accident you ever witnessed?

LynchProtoge

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not really an accident - back when I was so poor I couldn't pay attention, I saw videos of Shakira on stage smashing Hamer Echotones for show. This was a guitar I was lusting after but knew I could not afford and I really p!&&*) me off to see it in pieces. The worst accident I was ever a part of was when my first Telecaster came apart from it's strap and went head-first onto a concrete floor - I picked it up and it was still in-tune and worked just fine, thank you very much! God, I love Fenders!

• Members

Following the bands van one nite going to some gig. The back doors flew open and I watched my twin and and pro reverb fall out the back on to the road. Got to the gig replaced all the tubes in the twin and a roll of duck tape and played it that nite. The pro not so lucky.

• Members

Both of these happened years ago.

1. We were in the middle of a set when I heard a loud pop and the keyboard player's amp literally went up in smoke! Flame started coming out but he got to the power cable unplugged quickly and nothing serious happened.

2. Four of us were carrying a Hammond B3 up the steps to Phil's Bongo Room in Avalon NJ (is it still even there?). Someone tripped and the organ dropped on my leg. :cry: Fortunately I only had a nasty bruise on my calf that looked worse than it was. Now you can carry a B3, a grand piano, and an entire horn section in one hand! :love::idea:

• Members

I was playing at Seven springs mountain resort in pennsylvania on the "beach" in the summer time and the next act was getting ready load in when the guys "helper" decided it would be a good idea to walk through our set up to get to the bar, and as he went by he knocked my 69 335 over and broke the head stock, and scratched the hell out of the binding etc. boy was I pissed.

even worse -- One of our roadies knocked my mini moog off the stage at a club one night. it cost hundreds to fix. the case was broken in multiple places. not to mention getting it to work and stay in tune again. It was never quit the same after that until kevin lightner did a full restoration on it.

• Members

Both of these happened years ago.

1. We were in the middle of a set when I heard a loud pop and the keyboard player's amp literally went up in smoke! Flame started coming out but he got to the power cable unplugged quickly and nothing serious happened.

2. Four of us were carrying a Hammond B3 up the steps to Phil's Bongo Room in Avalon NJ (is it still even there?). Someone tripped and the organ dropped on my leg.
:cry:
Fortunately I only had a nasty bruise on my calf that looked worse than it was. Now you can carry a B3, a grand piano, and an entire horn section in one hand!
:love::idea:

My B3 got away from us and slid down a flight of steps one nigh loading into a club. it smashed an antique chair at the bottom but the organ was fine. :D

• Members

I was playing at Seven springs mountain resort in pennsylvania on the "beach" in the summer time and the next act was getting ready load in when the guys "helper" decided it would be a good idea to walk through our set up to get to the bar, and as he went by he knocked my 69 335 over and broke the head stock, and scratched the hell out of the binding etc. boy was I pissed.

even worse -- One of our roadies knocked my mini moog off the stage at a club one night. it cost hundreds to fix. the case was broken in multiple places. not to mention getting it to work and stay in tune again. It was never quit the same after that until kevin lightner did a full restoration on it.

If you subscribed to the philosophy in your sig at the time, both of those guys are pretty lucky. Hell, if you'd been a Satanist -- or even worse a Scientologist -- them boys coulda been in some trouble.

• Members

I got my first Fender for Christmas one year. That January, I had it at school in the band room. My friend, who happened to be standing over my guitar, was holding a tuba. No, he didn't know how to play it, he's a drummer. Anyway, the tuba, which was very old, broke and fell from his hands right on to my guitar. It scratched it and I was pissed, but I got over it. The guitar is still fine.

• Members

The church band I used to play in was invited to play at a memorial service in a football stadium for the crew of a rescue helicopter that had crashed.

We played at the beginning of the service and then went and sat down while the service was going on. We left our instruments on stands sitting on the field next to where the service was going on.

Part of the service involved another helicopter flying into the stadium, landing, and taking off again. The wind from the rotors blew everything down--sheet music, guitars, flowers, plaques, everything.

Two of us had new guitars (nothing really nice, but they were ours, and they were new) and our bass player had ordered a Steve Bailey model Fender bass. His bass had not come in yet, so Steve Bailey let our bass player borrow his prototype. It also was blown down by the chopper. Luckily, we were on the football field so everything that flew away landed on the grass and suffered no damage.

• Members

13 years old. Carrying my amp in one hand, accessories in the other, and the guitar slung on my strap behind my back. Walked out of the house, first step of the all brick front porch - strap comes loose. Guitar hits the ground and tumbles past me down 6 steps. Body of guitar heavily bruised, tuner bent. No other damage.

• Members

We were playing an outdoor gig on an upstairs patio area and it was really, really windy (even by Kansas standards) and it ended up blowing over the other guitarists Marshall half stack. Here's the kicker though, it kept going and the drummer and singer didn't even know about it until we finished the song.

• Members

Back before vintage prices were in the 'silly' category, a guy was setting up LPs on stands at the big vintage guitar show in Dallas, got tripped up, fell onto one of the guitars with another guitar in and and knocked maybe five of them over. I would guess there were maybe four 60s and two 50s. Broke one headstock but they all definitely had visible marks.

I wasn't an LP guy and I didn't know how easily they would break, but it certainly was a memorable event.

This would have been maybe 1987 to 1990 or so.

• Members

When I was in youth group, the gentleman who played every Sunday left his beloved vintage Gretsch Tennessee Rose leaned against the front pew. I decided to take it for a quick spin and quickly put it back. I was walking out of the sanctuary and I heard this bang...my heart sunk. Sure enough it had fallen over onto a big metal receptacle box. It left a nice half inch gash on the back of the neck. Thanks God that is all that happened, it could of been way way worse. I totally forgot about it until I started reading through this thread.

• Members

Years back my bass player bought a gorgeous Les Paul Jr. He insisted I use it as a part of our show. One night our roadies set everything up, we did our soundcheck and went backstage to change clothes and relax. Our lighting man was late arriving. In his haste setting up his lights, he knocked my Marshall cabinet over which fell directly on the Junior cracking the headstock. My bass player took it well although our lighting guy didn't get paid for quite a few gigs afterwards. I felt terrible. Not only did I feel bad my buddy's guitar was messed up, it was a cool guitar and I never got to play it again. He got it fixed but it NEVER left the house again.

• Members

When i was in high school i had a Korean Peavey Wolfgang in a really nice aqua quilt top. Went to my local music store to try out different amps with it. After picking the amp i forgot to latch up the case... As soon as i picked up the case the guitar fell out and landed flat on it's face. Thankfully the major damage was about a 1-2 inch gouge in the quilt on top of the guitar where the wood was showing through. Could have been a lot worse.

• Members

when i worked at smash i worked with some hair metal dude. he was pretty crazy and always talked about how his band was about to take off in europe and how he teched for anthrax when he really had no idea what he was doing. anyway, some guy brought in his $2k+ PRS because he didn't have a truss rod tool. we had a giant bucket of various ones so of course we obliged in looking for one for him. anyway, 80s guy finds it and was like "hey, i used to tech for anthrax so i'll do the adjustment for free!". so he adjusts the truss rod and then he gets on one knee and starts fiddling with the bridge. i guess he was adjusting a saddle or something but I hear a "whoops" and the PRS guy and I look over and see that the screwdriver slipped and put a nice half inch scratch into the top. the PRS guy didn't freak out to my surprise, because he was showing the guitar off the whole time he was there.

thinking about it, earlier that year 80s guy said he'd setup my floyd rose for me because my action was kind of high. he actually tighten either the bridge or nut too much and broke it in half. he wasn't a terrible dude, but he the stereotypical music store salesman.

another incident was some party in college a few years back. my roommate had his macbook on top of a PA speaker that people were putting beers on. at some point int he night the computer fell behind the speaker and a good 5-6 beers fell right into the slightly opened keyboard/screen. surprisingly he took it apart and blowdried it and it worked fine. probably the most punishment i've ever seen a computer take.

• Members

my band was playing at a mate's 21st birthday party... halfway through the second set i spun the guitar around me but the strap broke, sending the guitar into the crowd... unfortunately it was going at such speed it decapitated my mate's mum... what's worse is that her head flew through the air and landed in a huge bowl of hot soup they were about to serve... my mate's two sisters and cousin were standing around the table and when the head landed it sent boiling soup into their eyes, blinding them instantly... the cousin started running around screaming and bumped into my mate's granma's wheel chair, causing the brake to disengage... the chair rolled down the driveway and into oncoming traffic

i walked over and picked up my guitar... not a scartch on it... just a bit of blood which i knew would come straight off... phew... close call

• Members

I laid a samick formula guitar out to show someone for trade. I turned my back for a moment and heard what I knew was the guitar sliding off from where I laid it and hit the cement floor causing a gash and huge crack in the clear coat. I still made the trade, but didn't get nearly what I had planned.

Archived