Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worst gear accident you ever witnessed?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst gear accident you ever witnessed?

Years back a salesman was on a stool handing a custom shop Jackson to a customer - he stumbled off the stool and the guitar crashed into the counter - slamming & cracking the headstock - before crashing onto the ground.

It used to be a $3000 guitar, lol

Not really an accident - back when I was so poor I couldn't pay attention, I saw videos of Shakira on stage smashing Hamer Echotones for show. This was a guitar I was lusting after but knew I could not afford and I really p!&&*) me off to see it in pieces. The worst accident I was ever a part of was when my first Telecaster came apart from it's strap and went head-first onto a concrete floor - I picked it up and it was still in-tune and worked just fine, thank you very much! God, I love Fenders!
    Telecasters!!!!!!!

"Wherever you go, there you are."

Gear:
    Squier Tele (MIK)with extras
    Squier Strat (MIJ) with extras
    Gold-Top Tele-parts-o-caster - now belongs to my son
    SX Tele - vintage greenish-white
    Vox AD50VT
    Zoom GFX-1 and some old pedals
    -Daddy-O, Compressor, Ibanez Analog Delay(old) etc.

Comment

I saw Trent Reznor make kindling out of a few Les Paul Classics on at least two occasions.
      —-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hello, friend.

Comment

Following the bands van one nite going to some gig. The back doors flew open and I watched my twin and and pro reverb fall out the back on to the road. Got to the gig replaced all the tubes in the twin and a roll of duck tape and played it that nite. The pro not so lucky.
        www.mpdacrylics.com

www.bazoogle.com

Comment

Saw a kid try to do a guitar flip with a PRS and his strap pin broke. Cracked the neck at the body joint and smashed the knobs into the body
          Guitars: Logan Telecasterw/ Duncan P90's Fender MIM Tele w/ Duncan Little 59, Ibanez SZ320 w/ Duncan JB,Alvarez RF4102C
          Amps: Blackstar Stage 60, Blackstar HT20H,Fender Mustang II
          Pedals:BBE Supa Charger, Dunlop EVH Wah, Dunlop Volume, TC Nova Delay, TC Polytune,Zvex Distortron,MXR Custom BadAss OD, Xotic AC Boost,Dane Electro 7 band EQ, CC Tremolo, Line6 M5
          Line6 Relay G30 Wireless

Comment

Both of these happened years ago.

1. We were in the middle of a set when I heard a loud pop and the keyboard player's amp literally went up in smoke! Flame started coming out but he got to the power cable unplugged quickly and nothing serious happened.

2. Four of us were carrying a Hammond B3 up the steps to Phil's Bongo Room in Avalon NJ (is it still even there?). Someone tripped and the organ dropped on my leg. Fortunately I only had a nasty bruise on my calf that looked worse than it was. Now you can carry a B3, a grand piano, and an entire horn section in one hand!

Comment

I was playing at Seven springs mountain resort in pennsylvania on the "beach" in the summer time and the next act was getting ready load in when the guys "helper" decided it would be a good idea to walk through our set up to get to the bar, and as he went by he knocked my 69 335 over and broke the head stock, and scratched the hell out of the binding etc. boy was I pissed.

even worse -- One of our roadies knocked my mini moog off the stage at a club one night. it cost hundreds to fix. the case was broken in multiple places. not to mention getting it to work and stay in tune again. It was never quit the same after that until kevin lightner did a full restoration on it.

Comment

Both of these happened years ago.

1. We were in the middle of a set when I heard a loud pop and the keyboard player's amp literally went up in smoke! Flame started coming out but he got to the power cable unplugged quickly and nothing serious happened.

2. Four of us were carrying a Hammond B3 up the steps to Phil's Bongo Room in Avalon NJ (is it still even there?). Someone tripped and the organ dropped on my leg. Fortunately I only had a nasty bruise on my calf that looked worse than it was. Now you can carry a B3, a grand piano, and an entire horn section in one hand!

My B3 got away from us and slid down a flight of steps one nigh loading into a club. it smashed an antique chair at the bottom but the organ was fine.

Comment

I was playing at Seven springs mountain resort in pennsylvania on the "beach" in the summer time and the next act was getting ready load in when the guys "helper" decided it would be a good idea to walk through our set up to get to the bar, and as he went by he knocked my 69 335 over and broke the head stock, and scratched the hell out of the binding etc. boy was I pissed.

even worse -- One of our roadies knocked my mini moog off the stage at a club one night. it cost hundreds to fix. the case was broken in multiple places. not to mention getting it to work and stay in tune again. It was never quit the same after that until kevin lightner did a full restoration on it.

If you subscribed to the philosophy in your sig at the time, both of those guys are pretty lucky. Hell, if you'd been a Satanist -- or even worse a Scientologist -- them boys coulda been in some trouble.
                  Epi 339-Pro (Cherry) | Epi Dot Dlx: Seth Lover set | Classic Vibe 60s Strat: Deaf Eddie Chromacaster switch | Red MIM Strat: Tonerider City Limits set; Deaf Eddie Fat-O-Caster switch | Ibanez SZ520QM: Dimarzio Bluesbucker & Air Zone | Fender Sonoran acoustic-electric | Fender Mustang III v2: Swamp Thang | Fender Super Champ XD: Ragin' Cajun

Comment

I saw a 5150 half stack tumble backwards off a stage, the head crashing a good 2 feet plus the distance from the cabinet to the floor... the tubes didn't break and it still worked!

Comment

My B3 got away from us and slid down a flight of steps one nigh loading into a club. it smashed an antique chair at the bottom but the organ was fine.

Built like tanks and about as heavy.

Comment

I got my first Fender for Christmas one year. That January, I had it at school in the band room. My friend, who happened to be standing over my guitar, was holding a tuba. No, he didn't know how to play it, he's a drummer. Anyway, the tuba, which was very old, broke and fell from his hands right on to my guitar. It scratched it and I was pissed, but I got over it. The guitar is still fine.
                        Guitars: 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)Pedal Chain: BBE Green Screamer -> MXR Distortion III -> Boss CE-5 -> EH Stereo Pulsar -> Boss DD-20 -> BBE Boosta GrandeAmps: Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5SoundCloud

Comment

The church band I used to play in was invited to play at a memorial service in a football stadium for the crew of a rescue helicopter that had crashed.

We played at the beginning of the service and then went and sat down while the service was going on. We left our instruments on stands sitting on the field next to where the service was going on.

Part of the service involved another helicopter flying into the stadium, landing, and taking off again. The wind from the rotors blew everything down--sheet music, guitars, flowers, plaques, everything.

Two of us had new guitars (nothing really nice, but they were ours, and they were new) and our bass player had ordered a Steve Bailey model Fender bass. His bass had not come in yet, so Steve Bailey let our bass player borrow his prototype. It also was blown down by the chopper. Luckily, we were on the football field so everything that flew away landed on the grass and suffered no damage.
                          The best piece of advice I ever got was when John Mayer told me, "Don't be a name dropper."

Comment

13 years old. Carrying my amp in one hand, accessories in the other, and the guitar slung on my strap behind my back. Walked out of the house, first step of the all brick front porch - strap comes loose. Guitar hits the ground and tumbles past me down 6 steps. Body of guitar heavily bruised, tuner bent. No other damage.
                            Ashtray plays Fender Stratocasters & Telecasters through:
                            '67 Fender BF Bandmaster

Comment

We were playing an outdoor gig on an upstairs patio area and it was really, really windy (even by Kansas standards) and it ended up blowing over the other guitarists Marshall half stack. Here's the kicker though, it kept going and the drummer and singer didn't even know about it until we finished the song.

Comment

Working...
                              X