Strat pup suggestions

Belva

• Members

GreenMonster012.jpg

So my tastes have changed and the 3 GFS lil killers are just plain too hot for me.

I wanna use the 6K neck in the bridge and come up with some sc mid and neck pups. The goal is something close to vintage strat with a bit of hair on it's sack. Noiseless would be nice but not necessary as I'm not a ganiac by any means. Classic rock, blues and even some country from time to time.

Ideas?

• Members

single coil options are almost endless... i will suggest the same thing i always suggest...

i would contact a custom winder like Rose Pickups or BG pickups and tell them exactly what you have and what tone you are looking for. Ken at Rose and Bryan at BG are both pretty damn good at nailing whatever tone you describe... not to mention that most of the Rose single coils sell for $60 a set, for hand wound pickups...

if you'd rather have something off the shelf...

Texas Specials and CS 69s come to mind right off, but like i said, the options are almost endless...

for noisless, i agree 100000% with the Dimarzio Area reccomendation, very nice sounding pickups...

• Members

After an exhaustive investigation for the same question.....I say either Fender CS 54 or Lollar blackface.

The CS are affordable and to my ears sound AS GOOD as Fralins. The LOLLARs are the absolute best you can get...I don't care what anyone says. Period. YOU CAN ASK JASON to overwind them....he calls it "dirty" if you want more bite. He actually sells a "special" strat pickup which has more output and may be what you are after....they are $90 each pickup.

Here is a great sound board to compare most of the Fender CS stuff to the Fralin Stuff.......For me the CS 54's are every bit as good as the Fralins.

http://www.acmeguitarworks.com/Acme-Guitar-Works-Sound-Clips-W60C345.aspx

• Members

I always recommend Fender Texas Specials, since they're my favorite Strat pickups.

I'd be tempted to go this direction as well, with just enough midrange honk to be really nice all-around rockers. No doubt I and a few others would attest that GFS '64s would do very well for the money, too. PErsonally I'd generally steer away from Fender's Noiseless pickups, as they've always have been a bit stuffy and "artificially compressed" to my ears.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Welp, I decided to go thru my packrat stash of pups

002-1.jpg

I had a Dragonfire rail pup and a coupla of 'Duncan Designed' pups I'd pulled out of a customer's Samick Malibu. DC resistance is 12K bridge, 11K mid and 10K neck. I wish now I had recording capability because this set is incredible! Balance is spot on. I usually don't go into high gain territory but I have with these. Note definition remains crystal clear regardless.

Archived