Which Bands Do You Think Aged The Worst?

OldGuitarPlayer

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

+1 for the Rolling Stones, and AC/DC.

I think Aerosmith have aged pretty well. They still play with more energy than some fresh young bands, even if it does mean Steven Breaks a hip now and then.

As for KISS, Gene and Paul were hideously ugly to begin with. The makeup was as much schtick as it was covering up faces nobody would put on the cover of anything.

• Members

Rather than some of the nostalgia acts like the Rolling Stones (their recording career ended years ago), I'll go with bands that started out awesome and then just started to lose it.

The first band that comes to mind is Weezer. To me, the Blue Album is magic. Pinkerton was different, but still very cool and showed a lot of promise. Then they just started to lose whatever "it" was that made them a great band. Their albums might still have a couple songs that are good, but they don't have anything that approaches those first two for me.

Next is Metallica. I'll preface this by saying that I'm not really a fan of the band, but Master of Puppets is a good album, and even when they went "Alternica" with the Black Album, they still were going strong. Load started the downward plunge, and after that it's gotten worse. I realized this one day when "Leper Messiah" came on my iPod during shuffle mode, and I though, "Woah, where did this band go?"

• Members

Next is Metallica. I'll preface this by saying that I'm not really a fan of the band, but
Master of Puppets
is a good album, and even when they went "Alternica" with the
Black Album
, they still were going strong.
Load
started the downward plunge, and after that it's gotten worse.

While I respect Metallica for having the balls to go off in different directions, and for having the tremendous influence on rock that the black album did, man did they show the world their complete lack of songwriting ability. They were great at those little thrash metal riffs, but outside that box their writing is just awful. And I

• Members

-

Are we talking about looks here, or music? Because I think most of these guys could still bring it.

I'm mostly referring to records. If I mentioned the Stones, it would be because I thought their records were getting lame after the early 70s or something like that, not because Keith Richards looks like a zombie.

Archived