The Mystrious Gibson Moderne

fuzztone

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Actually, that Premier Guitar article, which is almost two years old now, was just a discussion about the Moderne's awkward place in history and it never assumed Gibson would bring it back. On the contrary, the tone of the article made it seem that the Moderne was the ugly ass-end of Gibson's "experimental" phase and the only people interested in these guitars are die-hard collectors or fanatics for Gibson nostalgia and rich ones, at that.

I have no clue how they expect to sell a guitar this hideous. Unbelievable. Gibson has become expert at releasing stuff nobody asked for.

• Members

Actually, that
Premier Guitar
article, which is almost two years old now, was just a discussion about the Moderne's awkward place in history and it never assumed Gibson would bring it back. On the contrary, the tone of the article made it seem that the Moderne was the ugly ass-end of Gibson's "experimental" phase and the only people interested in these guitars are die-hard collectors or fanatics for Gibson nostalgia and rich ones, at that.

I have no clue how they expect to sell a guitar this hideous. Unbelievable. Gibson has become expert at releasing stuff nobody asked for.

Corvus

• Members

Actually, that
Premier Guitar
article, which is almost two years old now, was just a discussion about the Moderne's awkward place in history and it never assumed Gibson would bring it back. On the contrary, the tone of the article made it seem that the Moderne was the ugly ass-end of Gibson's "experimental" phase and the only people interested in these guitars are die-hard collectors or fanatics for Gibson nostalgia and rich ones, at that.

I want one.

• Members

My heart actually sings with joy when I see a new offering that doesn't fire up my GAS jets.

Nice, but I'll be able to pass. It would be cool though if one had an original from "back when" without having to pay the inflated vintage prices It would be a sweet guitar in a collection if it had the battle scars of a well cared for vintage piece.

• Members

On second thought, the GAS invoker with that RI Moderne is that it is by far the least expensive Korina/Korina finished guitar that Gibson is offering. Better than $7K or so for their V or Explorer. But I'm not enamored with that nut pinching headstock design.

• Members

On second thought, the GAS invoker with that RI Moderne is that it is by far the least expensive Korina/Korina finished guitar that Gibson is offering. Better than $7K or so for their V or Explorer. But I'm not enamored with that nut pinching headstock design.

I've seen your guitar collection photos ....you have worse :)

cough DiPinto cough Galaxie cough

• Members

There's a guy in his 30s or 40s who still occasionally posts on the Gretsch Discussion Pages, who claimed after some discussion about the Moderne a couple of years ago, to have a real deal 50s Moderne. According to him, he was having it appraised at the time, and he'd sort of fallen into owning it as a family heirloom. Why did he never post pictures? I don't know. Sometimes the guy is a little weird (not in an assinine way - just a very offbeat personality), so he has strange reasons for why he does or doesn't do certain things. But, he is known as being a bit of a vintage guitar collector. People have seen his stuff, and they say it's pretty cool. He couldn't see why having a vintage Moderne was such a big deal (maybe it's because he's more into collecting vintage Gretsches and Fenders [a lot of his vintage guitars are kept at his recording studio, for bands to use]).

Archived