The Mystrious Gibson Moderne

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mystrious Gibson Moderne

Can't wait for the new one!

Premier Guitar Magazine:The Mysterious Gibson Moderne (Link)

One chord is fine. Two chords is pushing it.
    Three chords and you're into jazz
    - Lou Reed

I once heard rumours to the effect that Billy Gibbons has an original 1958 Gibson Moderne -- the only one in existence -- but won't divulge it's existence.

Could be total BS. Maybe Premiere Guitar will cover that topic.

Comment

Moderne XI is one of Gibson's limited runs coming October 2011 Check out this thread (link)

- Lou Reed

Comment

There are several very informative Moderne threads over at the mylespaul forum. Very intersesting reading from some people with an inside view of the real history or lack thereof
        I puked last night after eating a volcano taco and drinking vodka. I felt like a ****************ing dragon.

Originally Posted by arrowhen

I figure I've only got about $200 worth of talent, so anything I spend over that is just wasted beer money.

Originally Posted by RaVenCAD

I think the most interesting facet of this entire topic is that more people seem to like Ed Roman than BG76.. Out dickheading Ed Roman - man, that takes some serious skill..

Comment

Actually, that Premier Guitar article, which is almost two years old now, was just a discussion about the Moderne's awkward place in history and it never assumed Gibson would bring it back. On the contrary, the tone of the article made it seem that the Moderne was the ugly ass-end of Gibson's "experimental" phase and the only people interested in these guitars are die-hard collectors or fanatics for Gibson nostalgia and rich ones, at that.

I have no clue how they expect to sell a guitar this hideous. Unbelievable. Gibson has become expert at releasing stuff nobody asked for.

Comment

Actually, that Premier Guitar article, which is almost two years old now, was just a discussion about the Moderne's awkward place in history and it never assumed Gibson would bring it back. On the contrary, the tone of the article made it seem that the Moderne was the ugly ass-end of Gibson's "experimental" phase and the only people interested in these guitars are die-hard collectors or fanatics for Gibson nostalgia and rich ones, at that.

I have no clue how they expect to sell a guitar this hideous. Unbelievable. Gibson has become expert at releasing stuff nobody asked for.

Corvus
            I puked last night after eating a volcano taco and drinking vodka. I felt like a ****************ing dragon.

I figure I've only got about $200 worth of talent, so anything I spend over that is just wasted beer money.

I think the most interesting facet of this entire topic is that more people seem to like Ed Roman than BG76.. Out dickheading Ed Roman - man, that takes some serious skill..

Comment

I was under the impression that Billy F DOES own an original, but the one(s) he's photographed are repros.

At the vintage guitar show in Dallas in maybe 1988 or 1989, I think he had three of them there.
              Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius:

"When it comes to gear vs talent I'll be the first to admit that I sit in the Mayor's seat in Poserville."

Comment

Corvus

OK, I just did a Google Image search for Gibson Corvus...

There are no words...

Comment

I want one.
                  - Lou Reed

Comment

I want one.

Me too. I just hope they cost less than the ones on the current used market.

Faded Moderne? :drool:
                    I'm in a band called Little Sluggers. Signature.

Comment

I want one.

The next guitar I build will be a Moderne

Comment

Corvus

"Well, I'm scared, I'm scared, I'm scared, I'm scared to death
                        And I'm scared to keep on going on my way
                        Well, I'm scared, I'm scared, I'm scared, I'm scared to death
                        And I'll tell myself I'm special till the end"
                        - Slip out (From where it hides)

Comment

My heart actually sings with joy when I see a new offering that doesn't fire up my GAS jets.

Nice, but I'll be able to pass. It would be cool though if one had an original from "back when" without having to pay the inflated vintage prices It would be a sweet guitar in a collection if it had the battle scars of a well cared for vintage piece.
                          A '57 Classic, MIJ from USA parts.
                          HCEG Existentialism: I buy guitars, therefore, I am.
                          Well Dick, it's got a good beat, and I could dance to it, so I give it a 10!
                          I have opinions of my own,strong opinions but I don't always agree with them.

Comment

Moderne XI is one of Gibson's limited runs coming October 2011 Check out this thread (link)

Does that say Steampunk Les Paul? That has WIN all over it!
                            I Love Charvels

~Good Deals~
                            (HC)-- JKD, dougiefresh, Orange Jackson, Kojdogg, billy budapest, Sheik_Yerbouti, ejendres
                            (Rig-Talk)- King Guitar, Rayneman
                            (TGP)- flyngtr, SirBoye, onemind, SvenHock, Musicman0912,Kccheers
                            (Randall Forums)- Goldfish , BIGKAHUNA, SacredGroove, isburgracing, JMelton, Mikal69, HughJasol
                            (JCF)- Strangletooth, Newc, John.W.Lawson, potatohead, straycat, ///MK

Proud MTS User

Peace, Love & Rossness

Comment

On second thought, the GAS invoker with that RI Moderne is that it is by far the least expensive Korina/Korina finished guitar that Gibson is offering. Better than $7K or so for their V or Explorer. But I'm not enamored with that nut pinching headstock design.
                              A '57 Classic, MIJ from USA parts.
                              HCEG Existentialism: I buy guitars, therefore, I am.
                              Well Dick, it's got a good beat, and I could dance to it, so I give it a 10!
                              I have opinions of my own,strong opinions but I don't always agree with them.

Comment

Working...
                              X