I am such a guitar whore.

Willyguitar

• Members

So, I picked up the electric guitar (having played it as a teenager/young adult in the late 1980s) in 2007 or so (mid-life fling?). Between then and now, in which time I have got into a gigging band, I have the following encounters:

Started off thinking I should get a Les Paul style guitar, having, in the late 1980s played a stratocaster... ended up getting a stratocaster in any case. Ironically, it was the mere fact that we drove past a guitar shop en-route to the hospital where my son was born, with a Les Paul in the window, that aroused my interest again...

Eventually bought a telecaster and thought I loved it. The affair lasted about four years. In about 2009 dumped my poor stratocaster.

In the meantime, I was two-timing my tele with guitars with P90s, eventually falling head over heels with a 2009 Les Paul Junior. We are mostly seen out together, and she is head of the harem.

Also spent a bit of time eyeing up normal Les Paul style guitars again, SGs, etc, and eventually bought a couple of Les Paul copies, one of which is still a bit on the side.

Got into a band, played the Junior mostly, but then ummed and ahhed about a semi-hollow. Sold the tele (which just wasn't being used much) and got a Sheraton with upgraded pickups).

2012, my father finds me old guitars to tinker with and sell.... and of course, about 50% of guitars in car boot sales are Squier stratocasters... so here i have one squier, upgraded and tinkered with.

I am back in love with the stratocaster (!?!), but still love my Junior and Sheraton... and my bit of Les Paul Standard on the side.

Do I need to go to a counsellor?

• Moderators

So, I picked up the electric guitar (having played it as a teenager/young adult in the late 1980s) in 2007 or so (mid-life fling?). Between then and now, in which time I have got into a gigging band, I have the following encounters:

Started off thinking I should get a Les Paul style guitar, having, in the late 1980s played a stratocaster... ended up getting a stratocaster in any case. Ironically, it was the mere fact that we drove past a guitar shop en-route to the hospital where my son was born, with a Les Paul in the window, that aroused my interest again...

Eventually bought a telecaster and thought I loved it. The affair lasted about four years. In about 2009 dumped my poor stratocaster.

In the meantime, I was two-timing my tele with guitars with P90s, eventually falling head over heels with a 2009 Les Paul Junior. We are mostly seen out together, and she is head of the harem.

Also spent a bit of time eyeing up normal Les Paul style guitars again, SGs, etc, and eventually bought a couple of Les Paul copies, one of which is still a bit on the side.

Got into a band, played the Junior mostly, but then ummed and ahhed about a semi-hollow. Sold the tele (which just wasn't being used much) and got a Sheraton with upgraded pickups).

2012, my father finds me old guitars to tinker with and sell.... and of course, about 50% of guitars in car boot sales are Squier stratocasters... so here i have one squier, upgraded and tinkered with.

I am back in love with the stratocaster (!?!), but still love my Junior and Sheraton... and my bit of Les Paul Standard on the side.

Do I need to go to a counsellor?

And you're different from every other forum member how again???;)

• Members

Do I need to go to a counselor?

Yes. But not because you are a guitar whore, but because you have commitment and loyalty issues.

As the Sultan of ManCave, I am always surrounded by my harem of beauties.

You need to resolve your conflict and commit to owning at least 6 or more electrics til death doth part.

• Members

I know this is sacrilege on this forum, but I legitimately am happier owning 2-3 electrics and an acoustic. I guess I don't fit in.
:(

That's me. I have 2 electrics and my acoustic. The acoustic is my wife and the electrics are my sexy concubines. But they all know about each other so I don't feel like I'm a sinner.

• Members

I know this is sacrilege on this forum, but I legitimately am happier owning 2-3 electrics and an acoustic. I guess I don't fit in.
:(

I'm with you completely. In the 80s and 90s I owned TONS of guitars, basses, amps, pedals, recording equipment...for me it ended up being more of a chore than a pleasure.

Now I have three electrics (one may get sold soon) one acoustic and a bass. I'm playing a lot more acoustic these days so I'd like a nicer, second acoustic at some point, but really have no interest in owning more than 2-3 of anything (electric, acoustic, bass...)

• Members

Haha! I know, I'm sure it's just a phase I'm going through. Once I don't have the money to buy something I'll want it a lot more.

You mean the phase where you're a professional musician (and thus have no $$ to spend on gear), unlike those of us with more financially remunerative jobs who dream of being professional musicians? :lol:

This reminds me of the joke where a guy goes to a male sex counselor and described his problem as always getting off way before his wife does. The male sex counselor then says, "Honestly, I don't really see a problem here."
:D

:D

I figure it's her job to catch up...

• Members

Yes. But not because you are a guitar whore, but because you have commitment and loyalty issues.

As the
Sultan of ManCave
, I am always surrounded by my harem of beauties.

You need to
resolve your conflict and commit
to owning at least 6 or more electrics til death doth part.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Willy, you sound like you form a school boy crush on something and then abandon all your mates only to want them back again at some point. If I'm 100% happy with an instrument, I just find another way to raise the cash for something else or, and more often than not nowadays, I just pass. You know what they say about the bush in the bird right? That one can get you into big trouble.:p I still grapple with it, but there is a fine line between a comfortable collection that you find a use for and being a candidate for TV's Hoarders series.

Archived