Tell me about the Carvin DC400

DarkCide

• Members

Mcalpine and Holdsworth both seem to get great tone out of their Carvins. Still the DC 400 is that clangy machine I speak of. I believe it's the neck through construction. The guitar (and its Tele and LP counterparts) is apparently a neck with cosmetic wings. My theory anyway. If you can get to a Carvin store pick any DC off the wall and see. IMO It takes some pretty fat amplification to get them "rocking" properly.

• Members

In some respects, I think that Carvins (and other neck-throughs) are the purest incarnation of Les Paul's original solid-body concept as incarnated in "the log" he constructed at some point in the late 30s-early 40s.

• Members

These guitars are gorgeous and seem to go for pretty cheap.

What's the general opinion on the DC400 and how come they don't fetch much on ebay?

FWIW most carvins don't resell well.

Carvin, Jackson, and BC Rich have Neck Through builds and they do sound different than your regular set necks and or bolt ons.

• Members

I currently own 3 Carvins. 2 are SC90s that I currently have for sale. 1 is a koa DC127 (I think). The koa is the warmest sounding of the three. It's a nice thick sound. One SC90 has a set of Duncan Alnico 2 Pros in it. That's nice and warm sounding too. Not as warm as the 127. But still very warm. The other SC90 has a set of Carvin H22 pickups. These tend to be bright sounding. Not bad sounding. They sound awesome. They are just brighter sounding than the A2's. The 2 SC90s both have maple neck thru body with alder wings. So they are essentially similar guitars.

Carvin necks are unequaled IMHO. They are slightly wide and relatively chunky. They fit my hands nicely. I really like them.

FWIW, I'm selling the SC90s due to economics. I love those guitars. But I can only keep one. And I've wanted a koa Carvin since I was 16.

• Members
I'm eyeing this DC400:

Beautiful. The C22 pickups are some of my favorite PAF types. They sound warm and open. And the active circuit gives you a lot of control. It's the same electronic setup as my 127.

• Members

Beautiful. The C22 pickups are some of my favorite PAF types. They sound warm and open. And the active circuit gives you a lot of control. It's the same electronic setup as my 127.

The ebay DC400 is 20 years old. Is the age of the guitar a concern for the electronics in that thing?

• Members

The ebay DC400 is 20 years old. Is the age of the guitar a concern for the electronics in that thing?

It may be. I'd be concerned about the neck stability too. I had one from around 1992 that had a really, really thin neck that was horrendously unstable. Shortly after I got mine that put graphite rods in them to strengthen them up some. More current models do away with the rods, but they're thicker necks and don't have the same problems. Of the two Carvins I had, a 1992 DC145 and a 2006 DC127 with active electronics, the 1992 neck was the worst neck I've ever encountered, and the active electronics gave me all kinds of problems. That guitar has both those features. It may be fine, but I'd be cautious.

• Members

I think you get some of the upgrades like the premium top, phase and split switches thrown in with the 400 too.

Maybe things were different when I ordered mine. I have phase and split switches. A premium top was an option too, but I didn't want one.

• Members

Maybe things were different when I ordered mine. I have phase and split switches. A premium top was an option too, but I didn't want one.

I always thought it was basically all the bells and whistles thrown in. Here's the current list from the web site.

Standard Features:

- Alder body and maple neck

- Highest quality 4A flamed maple top

- Matching 4A flamed maple headstock

- 24K gold plated Carvin headstock logo

- Sperzel locking tuners

- 25" scale ebony fingerboard with abalone block inlays

- 24 medium-jumbo frets

- C22J & C22B classic humbuckers

- Push/pull active/passive controls with passive master volume & tone and active master volume & cut/boost for bass & treble, 3-way pickup selector, 2 dual/single coil switches, phase switch

- FT6 bridge standard; Bigsby vibrato, Floyd Rose tremolo, Wilkinson tremolo & M bridge available

- Chrome hardware standard

I think CarvinMuseum.com has old catalogs so anybody that was interested could find the specs 20 years ago.

• Members

So if I have a 127 with active electronics it's the same thing as a 400.

No, you have a DC200. The DC400 is a DC200 with a flamed top and abalone inlays.. It goes kind of like this:

DC127 - 2 humbuckers, passive electronics, no maple top.

DC200 - 2 humbuckers, active electronics, no maple top.

DC400 - 2 humbuckers, active electronics, flamed maple top.

You can then add a quilted maple top to the DC400 and have a................. DC400 with a quilted maple top. Why they never made a DC600 or something, I'll never know.

Physically, they're all almost identical though. I think I'd be a little leary of this Carvin, in part because of something GCDEF is saying. Back in the day, they had super thin necks with graphite rods. They soon learned that was a bad recipe. Necks were warping, people were bitching. They fattened the necks up, lost the rods and made a much better product. Buy a more recent Carvin. In fact, buy a Carvin CT. That's one damn spectacular guitar.

Archived