Humbucker choice for Jaguar: help needed

Elessar [Sly]

• Members

I am considering getting a custom Jaguar made, and would like a pick up recommendation. I want nice articulate cleans from the neck humbucker but it needs to be able to handle fuzz and a bit of high gain. For the bridge I need something that can handle high gain distortion well as well a little bit of overdrive (perhaps punchy cleans?). I am also considering coil tap options (if that would work alright on a Jaguar that is).

It will have a standard jaguar bridge system, and would like generic humbuckers with humbucker covers not specifically made Jaguar pick ups.

The body is made of Ash

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'd personally go for an Air Norton in the bridge and a 36th Anniversary in the neck but since you don't like Dimarzio, you are a bad person and will likely go to hell.

:lol:

For Duncan, I'd probably go Custom 5 and a Stag Mag in the neck.

And I don't think the 57 Classics would be a bad choice... Or maybe the Plus version in the bridge.

• Members

I have an SH5 in the bridge of my Gibson SG standard, and I certainly like that pup. But I am worried it might be too bright in ash?

Also, I really like the Bare knuckle Cold sweat which is very similar, so I would probo go with that if I went in that direction... but again worried about it being 'too' bright.

I'm having a 57 classic put in the neck of my Epiphone LP standard, and I'm looking forward to hearing how that sounds.

• Members

Yep. I have one of the Fender Classic Player Jags that come HH. Fender Enforcer humbuckers. They're not terrible, but they're nothing special. Eventually I'll get them swapped. HH Jags are crazy cool

I feel the same way about the hot alnicos in my Blacktop Jaguar. It's interesting to hear what you guys are thinking.

Archived