Please recommend a cheap and very small footprint eq or boost pedal for me.

guitarman3001

• Members

I currently have a Dano fish n chips which has been great up until a gig this weekend. The footswitch has gone buggy and sometimes I have to stomp on it several times to get it to engage. I use it as a lead boost and got stuck playing a whole song with it on.

Whatever I get has to be cheap because I'm broke and has to be at least as small as the Dano because my pedalboard is completely full and as it is, I have the Dano sticking half off the board already.

I suppose a boost pedal would also work as long as it boost the mids in addition to the volume.

• Members

Artec parametric eq.

Cool, thanks. Looking into that one now.

Also doing some google searches of my own and have found a couple of ones that look promising.

Joyo makes a 6 band eq that looks like a clone of the MXR. Only problem with this one is it doesn't have an overall level so it might not be too useful as a clean lead boost.

joyo6bandgraphic_390_470.jpg

Artec also makes a graphic eq with a built in tuner. Only problem with this one is I've read a few posts that mention that it's not true bypass and that it has a noticeable effect on the tone even when it's set flat.

dnt9773541.jpg

Then there's the EH LPB-1. Seems to get great reviews. This one's at the top of my list right now.

4155s2B8TyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Any feedback on these?

• Members

Adding another pedal to the mix like a loop pedal isn't an option - no room on my pedalboard. I'm pretty much limited to just a direct replacement for my fish n chips.

Does anyone know how many DBs of boost the EHX LPB-1 has? I haven't been able to find that spec online anywhere.

the LPB-1 has something like 40db of boost. unity gain is at about 9 o'clock.

• Members

Dano Fish & Chips - best $30 I ever spent on a guitar gadget.

If you run it on power, TAKE THE BATTERY out - it will whine when the battery gets drained, even when running on the dc power plug.

DV016_Jpg_Large_151873.jpg

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/danelectro-dj14-fish-and-chips-7-band-eq-pedal

lol....that's exactly the pedal I need to replace. Read my original post. I have one of those and the switch crapped out. Need to replace it by next Friday's gig. It's served me well but now that it's dying I want something different.

• Members

lol....that's exactly the pedal I need to replace. Read my original post. I have one of those and the switch crapped out. Need to replace it by next Friday's gig. It's served me well but now that it's dying I want something different.

lol.. i read the title, looked at the recomendations, saw my horse wasn't mentioned.... post!

Anyway, yeah they're cheap, and so are the others mentioned. for $30, i'd just get another if mine broke.

• Members

I've got a Modtone clean boost which isn't bad. They also make a mini-version of it which looks not much wider than the footswitch itself, if space is the most important factor. The pedal I have (the regular Modtone Clean Boost) sounds ok but I don't use it all that often since I got an MXR 10 band eq.

• Members

Cool, thanks. Looking into that one now.

Also doing some google searches of my own and have found a couple of ones that look promising.

Joyo makes a 6 band eq that looks like a clone of the MXR. Only problem with this one is it doesn't have an overall level so it might not be too useful as a clean lead boost.

joyo6bandgraphic_390_470.jpg

Artec also makes a graphic eq with a built in tuner. Only problem with this one is I've read a few posts that mention that it's not true bypass and that it has a noticeable effect on the tone even when it's set flat.

dnt9773541.jpg

Then there's the EH LPB-1. Seems to get great reviews. This one's at the top of my list right now.

4155s2B8TyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Any feedback on these?

I'm happy with the EH... good & cheap

IMG00118-20120529-2002.jpg

• Members

Thanks for all of the suggestions. A couple of the ones recommended look awesome but a bit out of my price range. I ended up ordering the EHX LPB-1 from Amazon. They have it on sale with two 6" patch cables for 41.85. I get free two day shipping too so it's good to know I'll have it by Friday's gig.

• Members

i would just get another fish n chips. you know it works in your rig, and how it works. win-win.

I thought about it but I like trying different things. The FnC also had one feature I was never happy with -- the footswitch was too small and was a pain to step on without hitting the sliders. For only 40 bucks I'm willing to gamble on the LPB1. I looked on CL for a used one but there were none listed anywhere near me so I bought it new.

• Members

I thought about it but I like trying different things. The FnC also had one feature I was never happy with -- the footswitch was too small and was a pain to step on without hitting the sliders. For only 40 bucks I'm willing to gamble on the LPB1. I looked on CL for a used one but there were none listed anywhere near me so I bought it new.

the LPB-1 is my favorite boost. but it's not a clean boost in the way that the MXR Micro Amp is a clean boost. it adds a little bit of grit, and some girth to the sound. so if you like that kinda thing, the LPB-1 is your pedal. i bought mine for $15 used. if it's not your thing, i would look somewhere else.

• Members

the LPB-1 is my favorite boost. but it's not a clean boost in the way that the MXR Micro Amp is a clean boost. it adds a little bit of grit, and some girth to the sound. so if you like that kinda thing, the LPB-1 is your pedal. i bought mine for $15 used. if it's not your thing, i would look somewhere else.

Is it actually a flat boost, or is there a bit of roll off in the low end? Up to 40dB sounds pretty full on for a boost if it's leaving the low end flat. :freak:

• Members

I currently have a Dano fish n chips which has been great up until a gig this weekend. The footswitch has gone buggy and sometimes I have to stomp on it several times to get it to engage.

maybe it just needs some wd-40

• Members

go play one. it's not quite as pronounced as you think it is.

Well yeah, I'm not even sure why I'm really asking. Curiosity I guess. I don't really use pedals much anymore, just the TCE and PQ-4 in front of a tiny practice amp too boost and cut the signal, for when we're just having small practice sessions and I can't be arsed taking the rack, cabinets, MIDI controller case, etc.

If it doesn't get flubby though, I'd have to think there's some low end cut in there, even if it's not an obvious Tubescreamer type of thing. Coz yeah I've tried it with pedals, I've tried it with flat boosts in the Axe-FX... always just comes out as flub. :idk:

• Members

From what I've read, people mostly say that the LPB1 boosts the low mids and mids a little bit. That would probably work for me because those are usually the frequencies I had boosted on my eq pedal.

Now I'm just worried about whether I'll get it in time for Friday's gig. I got it from Amazon using Prime 2 day shipping but instead of sending it UPS, they used a local parcel carrier named Lasership which is one of the absolute worst shipping companies in existence.

Archived