Why Does Everyone Hate Nickelback?

kayd_mon

• Members

Seeing Mark Tremonti on the front page of Harmony Central got me thinking about Creed, and since in my mind Creed and Nickelback are the same band, and everyone seems to hate them, I wonder... why?

They seem to sound exactly like bands like Three Days Grace and Linkin Park, both groups that don't seem to get as much hate as Nickelback. So what is it about them that's so hateful?

I don't particularly like the aesthetic of that sort of rock, but I don't think I hate them (though the jokes are funny sometimes).

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I had to go take a look because I didn't have much of a thought on them one way or another.

Found this amusing vid

[video=youtube;DmeUuoxyt_E]

Nice enough sound. It reminds me of some other acts, listening to this, but at 6:45 AM, my brain won't tell me who I'm thinking of.

The band that's popular that I don't get is the one that Ms. G Paltrow is hooked up with. Yeah, you know, what's their name :confused:

more coffee now

edit: Oh yeah, "Cold Play". What's the deal with that?

• Members

I think you're right on that aesthetic is boring, old, and was played-out by 1980. I dunno I've never found any of their music to be catchy or inspirational. Just sort of a white noise rock sound. It's hard to avoid, seems to be on everywhere all the time. That's where the rage comes from.

I just looked at some of their videos for the first time to give them another chance. Still, no likey.

• Members

Because the hip kids(read nerds with no lives that use musical taste as some sort of personal label) and the sheep that desperately want to be part of the in crowd that follow them have determined it is cool to hate Nickelback, and it is the opposite of cool to like them.

The main reason is because nickelback came out hard and heavy and fans dug them, then they releases a couple of sappy ballads and mode a ton of money and became this huge, massively produced band that a lot of the early fans viewed as sellouts.

Why Nickelback has become the pistachios for this sort of hatred as opposed to the hundreds of other bands that do the exact same thing and get away with it with far less criticism, Im not really sure. Maybe timing, maybe just the perfect storm of this particular band getting so huge so fast with massive sounding big budget production with songs that sound very formulaic, almost too contrived for the sole purpose of selling as many units as possible which a lot of people associate with cheese, along with a healthy sprinkling of media coverage of the lead singer, some of the douchey things he has said, who he dates, amd the big deal the poparrazi has tended to make over him at times, maybe it was all these things happening at the perfect time together which made nickelback the modern day go to band to despise. You know, if you buy into what the cool kids are telling you which bands to like and which ones to hate.

Personally, I don't hate them, don't love them, they are not really my thing but what they are to me, is a really good band with some pretty cool songs, a massively produced overall sound and a very diverse wide range of heavy type music, usually executed as we'll as about anyone else out there doing it, so yeah, just based on music alone, as a band, musically, it makes no sense that a band that good should be that hated.

• Members

They're in that category of "generock" for me - a little too poppy and slick for my taste, and their songs kind of of blend together, but I can see why they have hits. It's just kind of bland for my taste. I do appreciate that it's not easy writing a catchy 3 minute tune, regardless of genre, and they do what they do pretty well. There are lots of bands whose music doesn't do much for me, but lots of people love. It's okay, it's a big world.

• Members

I think I'm qualified to answer this as I do hate them myself.

They are a faux heavy band.

They try to sound heavy and come across like Winger meets Billy Ray Cyrus.

I like commercial music when it's good and isn't pretending to be something else.

Smug faced, hackneyed, cowboy outfits, humourless, sexless, dirtless, lyrically banal, and truly as heavy as REO Speedwagon.

I disagree with bands being bottled off stage but the youtube clip of Nickelback getting it has entertained me a few times.

• Members

Because most people really aren't that into music. Pretty simple really. Especially the ones who like to make themselves feel superior about themselves or what they are into...by belittling things they aren't into.

Most people are into music for it's fringe benefits....don't get me wrong...they LIKE music...maybe even love it...but it goes hand in glove with aspects of belonging. By hating a band like Nickleback they get to "belong" to that group that thinks they are "to cool" for it. Like indy snobs, or jazz snobs or anyone who sticks to a clique, and isn't truly open to other things. (of course they always think they are)

True music fans ignore genre. They like and dislike based on the music..but don't get emotionally wound up to the level of "hate" because...well...it just {censored}ing ridiculous to "hate" a musician or band for doing music.

• Members

Nickleback doesn't get any play time on the radio here in classic rock Indy so I'm not at all familiar with them. No hate necessarily, just don't know who they are. I've only heard of them on this forum.

I think there are about 7 radio stations in Indy and they mostly play tired old worn out classic rock featuring waaaaayyy too much John Cougar Mellondousche, Bob Seagerdousche and that group with Stevie Nicksdousche. About every 30 minutes you can count on hearing a Mellondousche song. I started listening to WICR, which plays jazz and classical.

Edit: I don't know who Three Days Grace or Lincoln Park are either.

• Members

The band that's popular that I don't get is the one that Ms. G Paltrow is hooked up with. Yeah, you know, what's their name
:confused:

more coffee now

edit: Oh yeah, "Cold Play". What's the deal with that?

See, I hear a good amount of Coldplay hate, but I have no shame in absolutely loving their first two albums, and I think that their newest one is not too bad. I daresay I'm a fan.

• Members

Yeah they're really just straight-up boring. Songs are too samey and follow the same structure. Lyrics range from 'decent' to 'embarrassing to listen to.'

The reason why people HATE them instead of just disliking them is a matter of scale. Since they're the most prominent example of their style of alt rock, they get discussed more frequently than other similar bands. Since they get discussed more, more people weigh in with opinions. When that happens, everyone's opinions get louder - either because there's more at stake since more people are involved in the discussion or, if everyone agrees on something, because of the echo chamber effect where everyone just keeps piling on in agreement.

The more popular a topic is, the stronger peoples' feelings tend to be.

• Members

Nickelback, Three Days Grace and Linkin Park are too generic and dull to generate hate in me. Creed I hated a little bit because of the cloying, {censored}ty, overdramatic vocals coupled with their supposed "message."

Mostly I just ignore this kind of crud, and find it easy to do so.

There's enough music that I enjoy listening to that I don't want to waste time hating stuff that's bull{censored}.

• Members

If anyone wants to witness some true HATE, simply watch me cringe as Stevie Nicks sings like a goat. :mad: Hate it with a passion along with Mellondousche and Seagerdousche! :mad: :mad: :mad: I probably wouldn't hate them so bad if it weren't for the old school monopolistic radio stations constantly plugging that tired worn out old crap! {censored} clear channel!

Here's a clip of Stevie Nicks ...

[video=youtube;I1uCG9_YS-4]

Archived