So Ronnie Wood played bass in "Emotional Rescue"?

honeyiscool

• Members

Sometimes it just works - the best example is the majority of Entwistle's playing.

Indeed. Chris Squire too. But I see their playing as being quite melodic; a lead instrument. When Ronnie Wood played with Jeff Beck I think it was quite obvious who the lead instrumentalist was in the group. That kind of playing in a blues band doesn't work. 'Yes' and 'The Who' had a totally different style, obviously.

• Members

Indeed. Chris Squire too. But I see their playing as being quite melodic; a lead instrument. When Ronnie Wood played with Jeff Beck I think it was quite obvious who the lead instrumentalist was in the group. That kind of playing in a blues band doesn't work. 'Yes' and 'The Who' had a totally different style, obviously.

Agreed.

• Members

Ah yes -- the pinnacle of the Stones "Sucking in the 70s" oeuvre...

I dig that era of Stones. It's a great album (IMO.) If all Stones stuff sounded like "Emotional Rescue" that would suck, but I like the fact that they'd delve into a little disco as well as some hardcore C&W (sometimes on the same album.)

They definitely didn't bat 1000 all through the 70s, but even late into the 70s they were kicking some ass IMO.

• Members

Ron Wood is a monster player who falls into the category of consummate professional who is very content to do his thing in the background and does not need to be the focus of attention. I dont know why it would come as a shock that he is an exceptional bass player as that was his role in The Jeff Beck Group? If Jeff would of only of changed the name and Rod stuck around, I have no doubt rock history would of had a very serious different chapter.

• Members

Before he formed the Faces with Rod Stewart, Kenny Jones, Ian McLagan and Ronnie Lane he and Stewart both toured the USA with Jeff Beck. Ronnie has been playing bass on Stones recordings for 35 years.

They were the Small Faces before Ronnie's time, just McLagan, Lane, Jones and Steve Marriott.

I think he didn't form them as much as join them.

IIRC they got Rod the Mod after Steve left....similar voice.

Steve went to Frampton and Humble Pie.

• Members

Ron Wood is a monster player who falls into the category of consummate professional who is very content to do his thing in the background and does not need to be the focus of attention. I dont know why it would come as a shock that he is an exceptional bass player as that was his role in The Jeff Beck Group?

You see, that's where I disagree with you. His bass playing for Jeff Beck was too flashy.

• Members

In the Beck group he was originally the 2nd guitarist but they had trouble finding a Bass player and he switched over to bass. In that group he had to fill a lot of space being a 3 piece with a singer. Nicky didn't join till near the end of the group when Beck had the car crash .

• Members

^^^

That band was already finito (with Stewart and Woody joining Faces) when JB had the car crash. What happened was that it postponed his link-up with Tim Bogert and Carmine Appice, who went off and formed Cactus instead while JB started up the 'Rough And Ready' edition of the JBG.

Nicky H, who'd played on the Truth album, signed on as a full touring member of the band with the Beck-Ola line-up ... which was the one which almost played Woodstock

Archived