So what other guitars have that Nocaster neck?

Spike Li

• Members

You know, the gloriously huge "baseball bat" one?

oaar2v.jpg

I like big necks- and I cannot lie! The bigger the better in my books and a 51 Nocaster is by far the biggest neck Ive ever played, even bigger than at Gibson 50s profile love.gif

Obviously, custom shop Nocasters are prohibitively expensive so I was wondering what other alternatives (dont have to be Teles) also have enormous necks? Would a 52 tele cut it? There seems to be plenty of those available online?

• Members

Biggest neck I've played was on a Rick Kelly (NYC boutique builder) Tele. I think he builds some guitars with an over 1" neck and no truss rod. Long wait for his stuff though.

I've played some Nashes with big necks too...I think he's just using Warmouth/Allparts necks, so his necks will vary depending on what neck carve he decides to put on.

I think the Gibson R8 is kind of the "standard" for big necks, isn't it?

• Members

Seems like we do this whats the biggest Fender neck thing every 3 weeks.

1. 1st Edition Jeff Beck 1st fret .945 5th fret .975 12 fret .995
2. 2nd Edition Jeff Beck 1. .902 5th .908 12th .970
3. 90s Korean Protone 1st - .824 5th .838 12th .855
4. 81 Lead II 1st - .891 5th .890 12th .930
5. 90s MIM 1st - .802 5th .813 12th .851
6. 71 Tele 1st - .890 5th .885 12th .925
7. 79 US strat 1st - .922 5th .929 12th .970
8. 89 Bullet 1st - .836 5th .843 12th

• Moderators
Quote Originally Posted by Spike Li View Post
The bigger the better in my books and a 51 Nocaster is by far the biggest neck Ive ever played, even bigger than at Gibson 50s profile love.gif
The actual dimensions are too close to call between a pukka Gibson 50s which is around 0.960 (1" - 1mm) or the full 1" necks that Fender use, and the Gibson profile means in cross section you're actually holding more wood.

The reason why Fender necks are thus is that they all start life as a 1" thick board, with width differing depending on whether they plan to us it for a Strat or Tele neck

• Members

Neck girth really needs to be clarified as it appears very subjective. Here is a snapshot of what I see to be true...

large...50s gibbys, nocaster and anything getting up to the 1 inch.
medium large...prs wide fat and anything in the .860 graduated to .950ish.
medium... .830 graduated to .920ish.
thin... .800 to .880ish
super thin... .750 to .850ish.

The reason I felt the need to write this is many people remark that the neck was "really chunky" when it is in fact just a medium and they are used to a thin neck.

There, got that bee out of my bonnet, feel much better now. icon_lol.gif

• Members

I recently bought a Fender Telebration Old Pine Tele because it had the '52 Hot Rod neck, which is billed as a "thick U" shape yet has a 9'5" radius and medium jumbo frets. I sold the guitar within a week because the neck was just too thin for me. Like you, I'm a Gibson-'50s-at-a-minimum sort of guy, and I really need a great Tele. So, I'm looking for a Nevercaster. These were a limited run of Nocasters built for PGS with rosewood fretboards, 9.5" radius, and jumbo frets. I believe The Music Zoo had a similar run they call the NoNeck, but the only NoNeck guitars they currently have in stock are all Strats. If I can't find a decently priced Nevercaster (they only sold for $1895 new), then I may end up with a parts Tele or a custom replica.

Archived