X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPODW & NFOGD!

NPODW >> New POD Week!
    Last week I was lucky enough to run across a 2006 Line 6 PODxt Live for sale on CL. It is in excellent working condition. All metal construction, expression pedal, 128 memory slots, a pile of amp models and effects, even more downloadable. It was in it's original box with cables, power supply, and manual. I am going to have fun figuring it out.

NFOGD >> New Fugly Old Guitar Day! (Project)
    I saw this mid 80s Martin Stinger SRX (made in Korea I think) with OHSC on my local CL on and off for the last 6 months. Every few weeks the price drops... $200, $175, $150, $100, it hit $75. I actually felt sorry for it. I got it for $50.

UPSIDE: The neck looks straight, the frets are in good order, the tuners work (don't know if they hold tune), The bridge needs cleaning, and only a couple of minor dings.

DOWNSIDE: It is definitely a project: Missing nut, bad wiring, broken pot, broken switch, missing a neck screw, no back access covers, supposedly the pickups work (who knows), and a hideous FACTORY paint job (see the pic, What was Martin thinking? Eh... it was the 80s).

I called Martin about info and parts. The rep almost laughed. They didn't even track serial numbers let alone hang on to parts. So I am on my own there.

The questions are...
    Do I keep it as original as possible?
    Do I gut and repaint it or just restripe it silver?
    Do I mod the hell out of it?

Oh... and if you have any info on it, please pass it along. Thanks!
    Joe... "Some say that having a dark side will lead to no good... I certainly hope so."Gibson: '11 Les Paul Studio 60s DeluxeFender: '69 Mustang Competition; '91 Stratocaster Plus; '11 Telecaster StandardOvation: '06 Elite-T 1868T; '79 Glen Campbell Artist 1627; '95 Balladeer 1751-12PRS: '07 CE22; '03 Santana SE; '12 Tremonti SEMartin: '12 GPCPA4 RWBradley: '77 Les Paul Custom

Double congrats! I would leave that Martin in all it's hideous 80's glory. It's a sight to behold. And the way my kids are taking to neon, it will be pretty hip in a year or so.
    Good trades/transactions with: DARKMETL/, L6Sguy, Freeridstylee, ck3, Solcat, dolflundgren, tweedledee, _pete_, rawk out, GibsonQC, strangegrey, tomh777, Brendan, Mike Fiasco, Yavin

Comment

Looks like fun!
      Good dealings with ~dcindc x2~alleytrash~ashasha~jjegg~Yavin

Comment

Keep it as it is! That thing is so ugly that it's awesome!
        - Gibson ES-335
        - Gibson Hummingbird
        - Fender Strat MIM
        - Ovation Tangent & Tangent Bass
        - Vox AC15C1 - British Racing Green

F-Holes

Originally Posted by GreatDane

the player plays, but the instrument should inspire.

Comment

I would do a rewire. Dimarzio has pink, blue, or pink/black humbucker pickups. If you're gonna go 80's, go all the way!
          Gear:
          Breedlove Atlas AD/20SR+
          Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Standard
          PRS SE Singlecut Trem
          Fender Mustang 1
          Bad Monkey

Comment

I saved this Peavey from CL a couple of weeks ago for $20, slapped in some old Gotoh humbuckers I also paid $20 for, blocked the Floyd and I love it! Thought about a refin but I've got enough pretty guitars. Leave it!

I one day hope to be the man my dog thinks I am.WORDS OF WISDOM FROM VARIOUS MEMBERS"most often the guitar will rise or fall to the level of the player""people overthink ****************""Sometimes you gotta know when to shut the **************** up and have a little class. Not you, you're special.""If it sounds good to you then it sounds good"The bull**************** and myths in the guitar world are stacked very high.

Comment

Working...
            X