So, who's gone pickless: playing electric with fingers?

dman11

• Members

I recently started playing electric with my fingers and realized not only is the tone awesome but I can actually play my licks without a pick. things like hammerons are sounding okay for fast runs and intuitively I'm using my thumb more. Anyone experience this?

I'm playing and diggin my Sheraton II's tones better than with a pick.I still play with a pick for metal and such but for blues and roots rock it's fingers all the way.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I usually play without a pick. My thumb and 3 fingers are much better at picking out arpeggio progressions than I am with a pick. Exceptions are strumming, rapid alternating picking songs like Misirlou or Thunderstruck, and lately I've been grabbing a pick a bit more when I really want the dynamics that come from digging in hard with a pick. But still, 90-something percent of the time, I just use my finger nails. But it was taking classical guitar lessons back in '97 that got me firmly entrenched as a finger picker.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by GAS Man

View Post

I usually play without a pick. My thumb and 3 fingers are much better at picking out arpeggio progressions than I am with a pick. Exceptions are strumming, rapid alternating picking songs like Misirlou or Thunderstruck, and lately I've been grabbing a pick a bit more when I really want the dynamics that come from digging in hard with a pick. But still, 90-something percent of the time, I just use my finger nails. But it was taking classical guitar lessons back in '97 that got me firmly entrenched as a finger picker.

Same here- took classical lessons for a couple years and even though I have a boatload of pics, I almost never have one in my hand.

• Members

I play without picks pretty often and enjoy doing it, but it's not my main thing. I'm probably 90% picks, 10% fingers. I would say I'm far from an expert, but comfortable enough with my fingers that I can get by and do what I need to do if there isn't a pick around. It's great fun, and great for breaking out of ruts.

I think a lot of times I play better blues and rootsy stuff without a pick - probably just forces me to slow down and hear before playing, and you can really spank it. On the other hand there's no way I can do justice to Paganini's 24th caprice with my fingers.

Slide playing, and playing bass is 100% fingers for me.

• Members

Took me a while to adjust but it's quite good to know you can play either way. Guess it came from the same reason as most others.. not having a pick around, too lazy to get one etc..

Can't play fast country stuff.. but yeah.. I agree about the tone. There is something special when the finger tone is coming from both ends.. instead of just the fretting end.

• Members

Nope...don't like playing with fingers at all unless it's necessary for the part. Don't like the muted attack that playing with fingers gives. For me the sound of pick on strings is FAR superior to fingers alone. hmmm....maybe it's a part of the reason I really haven't liked the way Jeff Beck has sounded since he stopped using one.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by soundcreation

View Post

Nope...don't like playing with fingers at all unless it's necessary for the part. Don't like the muted attack that playing with fingers gives. For me the sound of pick on strings is FAR superior to fingers alone. hmmm....maybe it's a part of the reason I really haven't liked the way Jeff Beck has sounded since he stopped using one.

I used to feel exactly the same way. But then I started to discover some of the texturing and note combinations you can achieve by plucking combinations of strings simultaneously that just can't be accomplished with a pick. Now, for me at least, it's like anything else...I switch it up depending on what I want to accomplish. The right tool and the right technique for the task at hand.

• Members

I used to feel exactly the same way. But then I started to discover some of the texturing and note combinations you can achieve by plucking combinations of strings simultaneously that just can't be accomplished with a pick. Now, for me at least, it's like anything else...I switch it up depending on what I want to accomplish. The right tool and the right technique for the task at hand.

Right...but that's what I meant by "if it's necessary for the part". If I need the sound of two stings played at once plucked then I will use it.

But for 99% of what I play....I think fingers sound terrible.

• Members

I'm am curious as to how many people use their nails when finger picking vs using the fleshy part..

Both. Not as important on electric, but on acoustics, and especially nylon strings, you can vary the tone considerably by changing the amount of nail.

Go to a classical guitar site and there's probably a whole subforum dedicated to nails. How to file them, how to repair them, what to eat to strengthen them, ...

Archived