OT: can you be killed taking apart an unplugged PC?

kulardenu

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Computer power supplies are now commonly 750 watts and above, so I'm not surprised. It's not like power supplies are truly "sealed." They're vented, so there are a number of ways for someone who's curious enough to make a big mistake.

This will probably result in a lawsuit, followed by stronger and clearer warnings on power supply housings.

• Members

Best practice is to unplug the PC then press the power button to discharge any power that might be stored in the capacitors. That is a good practice when working on anything inside a computer along with touching the metal case of the power supply to discharge static. Still not a good idea to mess around too much in the power supply. I have replaced a number of fans inside them though.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ugameus View Post
I always worked on them plugged in, not on though. This way they were grounded and the static didn't kill the board.
Yes that sounds like a good way to zap yourself.

I imagine this could spell the end of easy-open cases that you don't need a screwdriver for.

• Members

I work as an IT guy in a hospital. Only the power supply can kill you as far as I know, I've yet to be electrocuted by anything else (or at all) knock on wood. Every power supply is housed in a metal casing and should have caution labels on it telling you not to stick a screwdriver in it or try and take it apart.

Rule of thumb is, never {censored} around with a power supply even if its unplugged. If the power supply is the problem replace the power supply.

Taking out ram, hard drives, dicking around with the motherboard etc.. is safe, although I would disconnect the power supply from the motherboard if you plan on replacing capacitors or anything of that nature. This will ensure you don't {censored} the motherboard up and make damn sure you don't get a painful shocks (though extremely unlikely)

He likely accidentally stuck something into the power supply. Pretty crazy though, I suppose anything is possible, especially with faulty equipment.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by noisebloom View Post
Computer power supplies are now commonly 750 watts and above, so I'm not surprised. It's not like power supplies are truly "sealed." They're vented, so there are a number of ways for someone who's curious enough to make a big mistake.

This will probably result in a lawsuit, followed by stronger and clearer warnings on power supply housings.
Voiceover: "Warning: tickets should not be taken internally."

Homer: "See? Because of me they have a warning."

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by kulardenu View Post
I didn't think there was anything in the sealed power supply that wold hold that much voltage?

Teen Electrocuted taking apart unplugged computer.
Computer power supplies have capacitors. In these heavy power supply you see these days (600-1200 Watts!), these are pretty big. Just like a tube amplifier, power stays in there for a while after it's unplugged. If you ground one, it empties itself through you and you can get {censored}ing killed like this kid.

• Members

It's VERY unlikely you could get electrocuted outside of opening the power supply.

Most modern PSU's I've seen have several voltage "rails", several 12v rails a 5v rail and a 3.3v rail.

Each of these rails provides only a small portion of the PSU's total power capacity. To receive a shock of sufficient power to hurt you, you'd have to combine and/or cross those rails (which COULD happen accidentally, but it's very unlikely). For instance, if a PSU can provide 200 watts on each of 3 12v rails, the largest shock you could receive from that rail is 16.6 amps (typically over 30v is considered hazardous, under is considered extra low voltage to my knowledge). Unless you're naked, standing in a mud puddle and wet yourself down first, that level of electricity isn't likely to really hurt you. . . it'll make you jump, and you'll definitely feel it, but it's VERY unlikely to kill you or hurt you.

Of course . . . I'm no expert, just reporting my own personal knowledge (having worked on PC innards for over 20 years).

I'd still unplug the damned thing because it's just the smart thing to do.

• Members

That kid wasn't killed by taking apart an unplugged computer. No way, no how. The largest caps in the PS are for low voltages only, and the high voltage caps are way too small to hold a charge capable of being lethal.

That kid was killed by a plugged in, opened up power supply. The Dad, for whatever reason, unplugged it. Maybe he wants to sue the manufacturer, maybe he just didn't want people to think the kids was that reckless.

Archived