Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: can you be killed taking apart an unplugged PC?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: can you be killed taking apart an unplugged PC?

I didn't think there was anything in the sealed power supply that wold hold that much voltage?

Teen Electrocuted taking apart unplugged computer.
    > .

Don't take apart the power supply and you should be fine. Of course, life is fragile and you could die at any moment anyway.
    ------------------------------------------
    The quartersawn has been pulled for you....

Comment

No.
      dharmaforone.bandcamp.comListen to my music and such.Strat - Jazzmaster - Bunch of fuzz and delay pedals - map.

Comment

That kid had to have been in the power supply I have never heard of a MB that zaps ya. I always thought your static was the PC killer...
        > .

Comment

I wouldn't imagine there are voltages over 120 or capacitors that are very big inside a PC. Either some detail is left out or that kid had some kind of pre-existing heart condition. Maybe he was wet.
          You're welcome here if you're of the spirit to make a sound.

Comment

Weird. He had to have been dismantling the power supply for some weird reason.
            Listen to my lo-fi bedroom demos here!!

Comment

Computer power supplies are now commonly 750 watts and above, so I'm not surprised. It's not like power supplies are truly "sealed." They're vented, so there are a number of ways for someone who's curious enough to make a big mistake.

This will probably result in a lawsuit, followed by stronger and clearer warnings on power supply housings.
              Originally Posted by csm

The first, and most frequently violated rule of punk is: THERE ARE NO RULES.

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." — David Gilmour

Fender :: Gibson :: Epiphone :: Ibanez :: Yamaha
              Blackstar :: Orange :: Vox

Comment

Best practice is to unplug the PC then press the power button to discharge any power that might be stored in the capacitors. That is a good practice when working on anything inside a computer along with touching the metal case of the power supply to discharge static. Still not a good idea to mess around too much in the power supply. I have replaced a number of fans inside them though.

Comment

I always worked on them plugged in, not on though. This way they were grounded and the static didn't kill the board.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by ugameus
                    View Post

I always worked on them plugged in, not on though. This way they were grounded and the static didn't kill the board.

Yes that sounds like a good way to zap yourself.

I imagine this could spell the end of easy-open cases that you don't need a screwdriver for.
                    Signature is here!

Comment

Anything that plugs into the wall can kill you.

Comment

OT: can you be killed taking apart an unplugged PC?

I guess that depends on who the PC in question belongs to

J.R.
                        Give the hardest job to the laziest man and he'll find the easiest way to make it work

I'm still LPBlue dammit! HCGB #25 FF

Comment

I work as an IT guy in a hospital. Only the power supply can kill you as far as I know, I've yet to be electrocuted by anything else (or at all) knock on wood. Every power supply is housed in a metal casing and should have caution labels on it telling you not to stick a screwdriver in it or try and take it apart.

Rule of thumb is, never **************** around with a power supply even if its unplugged. If the power supply is the problem replace the power supply.

Taking out ram, hard drives, dicking around with the motherboard etc.. is safe, although I would disconnect the power supply from the motherboard if you plan on replacing capacitors or anything of that nature. This will ensure you don't **************** the motherboard up and make damn sure you don't get a painful shocks (though extremely unlikely)

He likely accidentally stuck something into the power supply. Pretty crazy though, I suppose anything is possible, especially with faulty equipment.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by noisebloom
                            View Post

Computer power supplies are now commonly 750 watts and above, so I'm not surprised. It's not like power supplies are truly "sealed." They're vented, so there are a number of ways for someone who's curious enough to make a big mistake.

This will probably result in a lawsuit, followed by stronger and clearer warnings on power supply housings.

Voiceover: "Warning: tickets should not be taken internally."

Homer: "See? Because of me they have a warning."
                            And once you're gone, you can't come back/ When you're out of the blue and into the black

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by docjeffrey
                              View Post

Anything that plugs into the wall can kill you.

I guess you could choke on it

Comment

Working...
                              X