How's a man supposed to buy a new piece of gear these days.

bebenavole

• Members

Kind of a rant I guess but...

I want to buy another piece of gear. Guitar, amp! Money is no issue here ...it is what is offered is the problem. Lemme xplain 2 ya...
Local music shops have little mid to hi end gear in stock. The little they have is poorly setup and nobody cares. And it doesnt speak to me when I play it. So practically no choice there. There are local adds (usually same stuff revolving year to year) but I just don't feel like doing 150miles for a guitar i might not buy.

Ordering online is also out of the question, because:

1. you dont get to try it
2. impossible to move if you dont like it (recession + everybody just wants to do trades)

I've had 2 main guitars for the last almost 5 years and I want to freshen up.
Oh what's a man to do?
I live in Zagreb Croatia Europe btw.
smile.gif

• Members

If you have a local tech handy (or the skill to do it yourself), then don't worry about ordering online. If money isn't an issue, there are a lot of guitars that you can buy with confidence that they'll be built well, and after a setup they'll make you happy. Also, if you can order from a company with a return policy, then you're fine.

• Members

It's always best to try gear out before you buy it, but everyone knows this isn't possible every time.

I've ordered guitars from thomann.de - probably the cheapest place in Europe - they're a huge company so prices are low, but they also have an excellent reputation and are definitely trustworthy.

I'm guessing guitars (especially US-made) are probably quite expensive in Croatia. You might want to think about taking a trip to buy something - you might even save money over all if you get a cheap flight. And get a holiday in the bargain...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by bluesnapper

View Post

It's always best to try gear out before you buy it, but everyone knows this isn't possible every time.

This. You just have to go with it, I have bought a large amount of gear online and it has been great. Of course, I have had the odd thing not work (or various amounts of problems) , but on the whole there is nothing wrong with it. Provided you do some research into the site/person you are buying from it is usually fine.

• Members

If I go into a shop that has a guitar that interests me BUT has dead strings or is poorly setup, I tell them! They will usually hand it to a tech and put a fresh set of strings on it at least or a fast and dirty setup so I get a truer idea of what I am playing. If they decline... so do I and go elsewhere.

• Members

You might want to think about taking a trip to buy something - you might even save money over all if you get a cheap flight. And get a holiday in the bargain...

That's my suggestion as well, especially as money is no object. If you're looking for something vintage, then the big guitar shows would be worth your while, or perhaps a trip to Hollywood, New York, and Chicago. For new, I'd suggest the best stores in the largest cities.

• Members

I order online and have never needed to take anything back. Just do your research and make a wise choice and you won't need to. That's the beauty of the internet and internet forums. These days.. problems with shipping or faulty product are rare (at least in my experience and in my country). As somene else said.. you can always take it to a tech for a decent setup, with the money saved from buying it online.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by bluesnapper

View Post

You might want to think about taking a trip to buy something - you might even save money over all if you get a cheap flight. And get a holiday in the bargain...

I'll "third" this, since MahaloVision already seconded it. My brother and I are planning a trip to Nashville to go intrument shopping, which is 6 hours one way by car. Make a weekend of it!

• Members

I don't have an answer for you. I've been trading a lot of gear myself lately. The good news is you get to try different stuff, sometimes get some great deals, sometimes give some great deals.

Anyway, I remember seeing your clips a while back and man, I am a fan of your work! This is one of my favorites:

and this one:

Archived