Gibson Les Paul Custom---which one??

ESchmidt

• Members

Hey everyone. Im going to be purchasing a gibson les paul custom here soon. I am wondering which ones ould be best for me. I have about $2500 to spend so obviously used will be a requirement. I have found late 70s to late 80s LP customs to be going from $2000-$2500 depending on condition. Or would getting a modern (past 10-15 years) LP custom be a better idea because they would be a "custom shop" instrument where as the older ones were production models. Please help me decide. Thanks!!

• Members

i've owned Customs from the early 70s all the way to current, and my favorite examples have been mid-to-late 70s (i know- norlin... GASP!), mid-to-late 80s and from '99 to '05. the trick is to play as many as you can and buy the one that makes you smile really big. happy hunting!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ESchmidt View Post
H Or would getting a modern (past 10-15 years) LP custom be a better idea because they would be a "custom shop" instrument where as the older ones were production models.
Just to clarify, those regular custom shop models of recent years (not the historics, the regular ones) are custom shop in administrative designation only. They're still made in the same production shop with the same production specs as before. When Gibson restructured in the early 00's, they moved the LP Custom line and the Memphis facility (that makes semi hollows and hollow bodies) over to the custom shop division, administratively, they didn't actually move them to the literal custom shop. They never changed production, so they're the same guitar and custom shop in designation only. They changed the serial numbers to CSXXXXX and gave them certificates.

That said, I've become pretty fond of Norlin customs because the necks are usually thinner, and I prefer the three piece maple necks; they are really strong necks and add some punch and focus to the tone with all that maple.

I have a '78 and an '81 and got them both in your price range. And they're on the cusp right now. New enough that they are still priced reasonably, but vintage enough that they are becoming more collectible. Now's the time to buy a Norlin.

012asd.jpg
015.jpg
021-2.jpg

• Members

go to the Les Paul forums and get a headache from reading too much about the differences in Customs.

Most agree that post 1990 quality took a big jump up.

But if you like maple necks, you're stuck with a Norlin era (if that's good or bad......)

Personally I want a 1990's +, but I like the thin 60's neck, and for that you have to buy a '68 reissue, which came first out in (I think) 2001?

• Members

I was in the same boat as you before I traded my 09 EBMM JP6 for a 09 LP Trad. Pro. In 26 years of playing I never played a LP( SG and Explorer for most of the years). Best trade ever. Got to mylespaul.com . Everything you need to know is on that site. And from what I read from them there is no such thing as better years. Gibson has great guitars but some dogs aways slip by like every company. The best rule for Gibson try before you buy.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by TattooedCarrot View Post
Just to clarify, those regular custom shop models of recent years (not the historics, the regular ones) are custom shop in administrative designation only. They're still made in the same production shop with the same production specs as before. When Gibson restructured in the early 00's, they moved the LP Custom line and the Memphis facility (that makes semi hollows and hollow bodies) over to the custom shop division, administratively, they didn't actually move them to the literal custom shop. They never changed production, so they're the same guitar and custom shop in designation only. They changed the serial numbers to CSXXXXX and gave them certificates.

That said, I've become pretty fond of Norlin customs because the necks are usually thinner, and I prefer the three piece maple necks; they are really strong necks and add some punch and focus to the tone with all that maple.

I have a '78 and an '81 and got them both in your price range. And they're on the cusp right now. New enough that they are still priced reasonably, but vintage enough that they are becoming more collectible. Now's the time to buy a Norlin.

012asd.jpg
Damn that's a beauty

• Moderators
Quote Originally Posted by goosefartfan View Post
that's wierd! In my conversations with Gibson cust. serv., they've told me it's a 60's thin. hmmmmmmmmm???

OK, so which LPC has a thin 60's neck?
Now this is weird, as I've always thought that a 68/68RI had a fattish rounded neck, but twice today I've seen 68s mentioned alongside being thin

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by goosefartfan View Post
that's wierd! In my conversations with Gibson cust. serv., they've told me it's a 60's thin. hmmmmmmmmm???

OK, so which LPC has a thin 60's neck?
Having owned more than one, I assure you they are fat. And Gibson customer service doesn't exactly have a stellar reputation for knowing their own gear. Currently there are no LPC's with thin necks, the smallest is the regular LPC which still has a 50's profile. However, used there are some thin ones, mostly the Norlin era customs from the 70's and early 80's with the maple necks. Not as flat as the modern 60's slim taper, but pretty thin.

BTW, this new forum software blows frown.gif

Archived