Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gibson Les Paul Custom---which one??

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse









X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Gibson Les Paul Custom---which one??

    Hey everyone. Im going to be purchasing a gibson les paul custom here soon. I am wondering which ones ould be best for me. I have about $2500 to spend so obviously used will be a requirement. I have found late 70s to late 80s LP customs to be going from $2000-$2500 depending on condition. Or would getting a modern (past 10-15 years) LP custom be a better idea because they would be a "custom shop" instrument where as the older ones were production models. Please help me decide. Thanks!!
    My Gear:

    2008 Gibson Les Paul Traditional
    1990 Gibson Les Paul Studio
    Marshall JTM45 Reissue
    Marshall 1960AC 4x12

  • #2
    I own a 1990 LP Custom. So, not a "modern" one. I love it. I replaced the stock pickups with a set of Gibson '57 Classics.



    Originally Posted by customtele


    Bottom line: the Strat is the prom queen of the family and the Tele is the slutty sister. Nuttin' like a good slut!

    Comment


    • #3
      i've owned Customs from the early 70s all the way to current, and my favorite examples have been mid-to-late 70s (i know- norlin... GASP!), mid-to-late 80s and from '99 to '05. the trick is to play as many as you can and buy the one that makes you smile really big. happy hunting!
      INTERNET stands for: Inter-connected Network of Tools Endlessly Regurgitating Negatively Energized Tantrums

      My Guitars | ... but can he play? | Currently a Gold Trader +6

      Use extreme caution when attempting to interact or transact with IndianScout.

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks guys. Theres none for sale locally so im sure Ill have to drive a few hours to Indy, Chicago, Detroit, etc. if I wanna play a few examples. But I will take my time to find the right one.
        My Gear:

        2008 Gibson Les Paul Traditional
        1990 Gibson Les Paul Studio
        Marshall JTM45 Reissue
        Marshall 1960AC 4x12

        Comment


        • #5
          Enjoy the hunt.
          FREE BATOTMAN


          1955 Tele Partsocaster Korina Amber
          2007 Carvin V220 Green Machine
          1983 Gibson Custom Shop Edition Schenker reject
          1989 Fender Telecaster Custom Deluxe Ultra
          1968 Fender Telecaster
          2007 Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass
          1997 Fender Pink Paisley

          59 Fender Bassman
          Marshall JCM 800
          Marshall Studio 15
          Marshall 1976
          Marshall Silver Jubilee
          Orange Tiny Terror
          Orange Rocker 30
          Carvin Vintage 16

          http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=892909

          SURVIVOR

          Comment


          • #6






            Quote Originally Posted by ESchmidt
            View Post

            H Or would getting a modern (past 10-15 years) LP custom be a better idea because they would be a "custom shop" instrument where as the older ones were production models.




            Just to clarify, those regular custom shop models of recent years (not the historics, the regular ones) are custom shop in administrative designation only. They're still made in the same production shop with the same production specs as before. When Gibson restructured in the early 00's, they moved the LP Custom line and the Memphis facility (that makes semi hollows and hollow bodies) over to the custom shop division, administratively, they didn't actually move them to the literal custom shop. They never changed production, so they're the same guitar and custom shop in designation only. They changed the serial numbers to CSXXXXX and gave them certificates.



            That said, I've become pretty fond of Norlin customs because the necks are usually thinner, and I prefer the three piece maple necks; they are really strong necks and add some punch and focus to the tone with all that maple.



            I have a '78 and an '81 and got them both in your price range. And they're on the cusp right now. New enough that they are still priced reasonably, but vintage enough that they are becoming more collectible. Now's the time to buy a Norlin.







            Comment


            • #7
              I like the Norlin Customs . I got this for $1975 at Guitar Center.







              It's like Euroboy's,well sorta. his is a 70's model and mine is an '81.



              One chord is fine. Two chords is pushing it.
              Three chords and you're into jazz
              - Lou Reed

              Comment


              • #8
                The Norlin models are probably what you've been listening to if you listen to any 70s or 80s rock music, and if you get lucky you get Tim Shaw pickups too, if you find a post 81 model
                Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. - Plato

                Comment


                • #9
                  Prefer Standards, but id go with the older one
                  The Mojo that can be explained is not the real Mojo

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    OK thanks for the replies guys and clarifying the custom shop issue. I have owned a '77 standard ans loved the thin maple neck so maybe a Norlin is what might be best for me.
                    My Gear:

                    2008 Gibson Les Paul Traditional
                    1990 Gibson Les Paul Studio
                    Marshall JTM45 Reissue
                    Marshall 1960AC 4x12

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Love my '74!!!



                      "Scalloped & Stickered"
                      A Colled One & A Rold One!
                      Proud DOA Member
                      PpP
                      Epi,Hamer,Squier,70's Hdstk Thingies,both MB/M's

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        go to the Les Paul forums and get a headache from reading too much about the differences in Customs.



                        Most agree that post 1990 quality took a big jump up.



                        But if you like maple necks, you're stuck with a Norlin era (if that's good or bad......)



                        Personally I want a 1990's +, but I like the thin 60's neck, and for that you have to buy a '68 reissue, which came first out in (I think) 2001?
                        I want to remind you once again of grammar's importance: Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I was in the same boat as you before I traded my 09 EBMM JP6 for a 09 LP Trad. Pro. In 26 years of playing I never played a LP( SG and Explorer for most of the years). Best trade ever. Got to mylespaul.com . Everything you need to know is on that site. And from what I read from them there is no such thing as better years. Gibson has great guitars but some dogs aways slip by like every company. The best rule for Gibson try before you buy.

                          Comment


                          • #14






                            Quote Originally Posted by goosefartfan
                            View Post

                            but I like the thin 60's neck, and for that you have to buy a '68 reissue, which came first out in (I think) 2001?




                            68RI has a fat neck, not thin. I've owned a couple.

                            Comment


                            • #15






                              Quote Originally Posted by TattooedCarrot
                              View Post

                              Just to clarify, those regular custom shop models of recent years (not the historics, the regular ones) are custom shop in administrative designation only. They're still made in the same production shop with the same production specs as before. When Gibson restructured in the early 00's, they moved the LP Custom line and the Memphis facility (that makes semi hollows and hollow bodies) over to the custom shop division, administratively, they didn't actually move them to the literal custom shop. They never changed production, so they're the same guitar and custom shop in designation only. They changed the serial numbers to CSXXXXX and gave them certificates.



                              That said, I've become pretty fond of Norlin customs because the necks are usually thinner, and I prefer the three piece maple necks; they are really strong necks and add some punch and focus to the tone with all that maple.



                              I have a '78 and an '81 and got them both in your price range. And they're on the cusp right now. New enough that they are still priced reasonably, but vintage enough that they are becoming more collectible. Now's the time to buy a Norlin.







                              Damn that's a beauty
                              "Can somebody give me a hand with all this talent?"

                              Comment



                              Working...
                              X