Historic Re-Issues Lets see them

realtree71

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by realtree71

View Post

Why did you choose the one you have? Why are the R 8 seem to be the better values out there............. Postem boys n girls

The price of the R8 has a lot to do with Gibson wanting to price for multiple levels. OPriginally the prices increased from the Goldtops to the R8 to the R9 to the R0, marketing justified this with amenities....the R0 got the lightest body blanks and the most figures tops, the R9 had the next lightest bodies and a different figure, then the R8 where a little heavier with a plain top, and then the Goldtops had the heaviest body blanks. But, in reality, this was more of a pricing structure to over something at different prices and amenities were all over the place...plenty of people found their Goldtops were sprayed over an incredible flame. And, once Gibson realized more people sought out the rounder R9 neck than the Slim-Taper neck of the R0, they moved to make the R9 the most expensive and give it the best tops. The R8's also traditionally had one of the thickest necks (discounting the Silm-Taper of the R0, the thinnest neck was the R9, then R7, then R8/R6/R4), but thos eare relaly all over the place as well, and Gibson is ship[ping fewer and fewer Historics with baseball bat necks these days, I think they've fallen out of fashion.

I have no Historic to show, I have my '72 and it's all I need, but one day would like an R4 as a replacement or companion (even if it means swapping mini=HB's in).

• Members

I'd sure as hell love a re-issue LP. But they're very expensive - for the same money I could pay a top luthier to build me one of equal quality, but made to my exact specifications. And it would have a Brazilian rosewood board and maybe even some old stock mahogany that Gibson aren't allowed to use any more...

• Members

The lowest price the well known Luthiers that build the correct replicas is 8,500K! So, in average no, for the same money you can buy a historic you can't ask for a hand build replica with all the appointments you are contemplating.

But you can find less known luthiers that can build you one at lower prices, but will they actually build it to the same attention to detail as the better ones?

• Members

I'm fortuante to have three...

R9

NEWR9web.jpg

R7BB

LPCweb.jpg

R6 (BRW - 8.8 lbs)

R6-2.jpg

They all sound different and bring different things to the table. The R9 is everything a LP Standard should be - the best of the bunch. The Custom has crazy low action and is great for gainier/metal stuff. The R6 is amazingly versatile - I bring it when I only can have one guitar with me.

Archived